2. Katamaran ng mga pilipino La Indolencia de los Filipinos Published in La Solidaridad July 15 to September 15, 1890
3. Katamaran ng mga pilipino Written by Dr. Jose Rizal as a response to the accusation of Filipino indolence He admits the existence of indolence among the Filipinos, but it could be attributed to a number of reasons He traces its causes to factors such as the climate and social disorders.
4. Katamaran ng mga pilipino He defends the Filipinos by saying that they are by nature not indolent, because in fact, even before the arrival of Spaniards, Filipinos have been engaged in economic activities such as agriculture and trade.
5. Katamaran ng mga pilipino In the end, Rizal sums up the main causes of indolence to the limited training and education Filipino natives receive and to the lack of national sentiment and unity among them. Education and liberty, according to Rizal, would be the cure to Filipino indolence.
6. Katamaran ng mga pilipino Indolence therefore has more deeply rooted causes such as abuse and discrimination, inaction of the government, rampant corruption and red tape, wrong doctrines of the church and wrong examples from some Spaniards who lead lives of indolence which ultimately led to the deterioration of Filipinos values.
7. Unang Kabanata Dr. Sancianco in his Progreso de Filipinas Past writings on indolence revolve only on either denying or affirming. One must study the causes of indolence before curing it. The hot climate, he points out, is a reasonable predisposition for indolence.
8. Unang Kabanata An hours work under the Philippine sun, he says, is equivalent to a days work in temperate regions.
9. Ikalawang Kabanata Rizal treated indolence as an illness and says that an illness will worsen if the wrong treatment is given. Even before the Spaniards arrived the early Filipinos were already carrying out trade within provinces and with other neighboring countries
10. Ikalawang Kabanata They were also engaged in agriculture and mining. Some natives even spoke Spanish. All this disproves the notion that Filipinos are by nature indolent. Rizal ends by asking what then would have caused Filipinos to forget their past.
11. Ikatlong Kabanata Rizal enumerates several reasons that may have caused the Filipinos cultural and economic decadence. The frequent wars, insurrections, and invasions have brought disorder to the communities.
12. Ikatlong Kabanata Many Filipinos have also been sent abroad to fight wars for Spain or for expeditions. Due to forced labor, many men have been sent to shipyards to construct vessels. Meanwhile, natives who have had enough of abuse have gone to the mountains.
13. Ikatlong Kabanata Thus population deceased in number, thus farms have been neglected.
14. Ikaapat na kabanata The Spanish government has not encouraged labor and trade Trade has declined because of pirate attacks and the many restrictions imposed by the government Which gives no aid for crops and farmers.
15. Ikaapat na kabanata The abuse suffered under encomenderos have caused many to abandon the fields. Businesses are monopolized by many government officials, red tape and bribery operate on a wide scale, rampant gambling is tolerated by the government.
16. Ikaapat na kabanata This situation is compounded by the Churchs wrong doctrine which holds that the rich will not go to heaven, thus engendering a wrong attitude toward work. There has also been discrimination in education against natives.
17. Ikalimang kabanata All the causes of indolence can be reduced to two factors. The first factor is the limited training and education Filipino natives receive. Segregated from Spaniards, Filipinos do not receive the same opportunities that are available to the foreigners. They are taught to be inferior.
18. Ikalimang kabanata The second factor is the lack of a national sentiment of unity among them. Because Filipinos think they are inferior, they submit to the foreign culture and do everything to imitate it. The solution, according to Rizal, would be education and liberty.
19. Pinag-ugatan ng katamaranng mga pilipino maraming labanan at gyerang naranasan ang mga Pilipino kung kaya’t natatakot silang magtrabaho dahilsa kanilang seguridad. Hindi tinutulungan ng gobyerno ang mga Pilipino. Ang mga sugal at bisyo ay lumaganap
20. Pinag-ugatan ng katamaranng mga pilipino Walang sapat na kasanayan at edukasyon ang mga Pilipino Hindi binabayaran ang mga Pilipino kung sila ay nagtatrabaho sa gobyerno. Malaki ang binabayarang buwis ng mga Pilipino