1. Differentiated Instructional Strategies One Size Doesn’t Fit all Gayle H. Gregory & Carolyn Chapman
2. •WHY DIFFERENTIATION?Schools are expected to put the “C.A.R.T.” before the horse C onnection A cceptance, Affection, Appreciation R esponsibility, Respect and Relationships Thinking, Technology and Teamwork
3. •WHY DIFFERENTATION?= “Accountability” through Standards and Expectations set by districts, states, and federal government Diverse Ethnicities, Native Languages, Learning Styles, etc. New Cognitive Research Findings Political and Technological Changes influencing what and how learning takes place
4. •Differentiation Supporters Believe: All students have areas of strength and room for improvement. Students’ minds are as unique as a fingerprint and it’s never too late for them to learn. Students bring prior knowledge and experience to learning. Emotions, feelings, and attitudes affect learning. All students can learn and they learn in different ways in different times.
5. •Our StudentsAccording to Dr. R.L. Canady, University of Virginia Special Learning Resources "In Spite 25% of Us" 25% Teacher Skill and Efforts 50%
6. •Teachers can Effectively Differentiate: CONTENT & ASSESSMENT & INSTRUCTION • This PERFORMANCE TASKS• Leveled • Blending formal materials and informal tools for ongoing• Providing assessment choice
7. We’re All in This Together! Remediation is one of our Greatest Opportunities forDifferentiation!
8. Now let’slearnmore aboutDifferentiationStrategies!