1. UNITED BISCUITS CASE STUDY THE REPOSTIONING OF HOBNOBS
2. INTRO OF UB International foods business operating in 24 countries. Manufactures, markets and distributes biscuits, savoury snacks and frozen and chilled foods. One of its famous products is McVitie’s.
3. AIM OF CASE STUDY Examine the way in which McVities has recently repositioned Hobnobs to target them at a younger audience of 18-34 year olds, as well as maintaining its established audience of consumers who like to treat themselves to high quality biscuits.
4. BACKGROUND OF BISCUIT MARKET Everyday Biscuits - the reasonable quality and price. Everyday Treats - still considered within a price range that they can be consumed every day. These are slightly more indulgent products. Special Treats - not likely to be consumed on a daily basis. Healthy Biscuits - offer a healthy alternative. Biscuit Variety Packs - an assortment of biscuits in a tin or box. Chocolate Biscuit Bars - this category includes all biscuits which are fully covered in chocolate and individually wrapped. Childrens Biscuits - this category considers younger consumers. Crackers - savoury biscuits which, on 50% of the occasions, are consumed with a third party product. Savoury Nibbles - a savoury product which is eaten alone on 50% of occasions.
5. HOBNOBS Hobnobs (original) were launched in 1986, closely followed by the two chocolate Hobnob variants in 1988. Following the highly successful launch of the original biscuits, McVities decided to build on the strength of the brand. The famous Hobnob name was then extended to Hobnob bars (a new countline) in 1989. Hobnob Creams were launched in 1992 and much more recently, Hobnob Flapjacks in April 1997. Originally, Hobnobs were positioned to take advantage of their homebaked taste where the appeal of the biscuit was its oaty, crumbly, wholesomeness.  over 35 years old  50% male and 50% female.
6. MARKET RESEARCH RESULTSMarket research has revealed that Hobnobs: have the highest proportion of male consumers of any McVities biscuit have the highest proportion of consumers under 35 years of age have a high brand awareness do not rely heavily on McVities endorsement to sell the product, rather they are able to act as a stand-alone brand a key feature of the product is its nobble effect’ sell particularly well as a complement to soft drinks.
7. NEW MARKETING STRATEGY Target young adults in the 18-34 age range with a fun, sociable, humorous brand relevant to their lifestyle (i.e. one which involves the enjoyment of life, on the move). The brands purpose is to bring more interest, fun and entertainment to the biscuit market Provide a relevant offering for younger adults, who make up the post-teenage and pre-traditional biscuit consumer.The journey from repositioning the brand away from itshomebaked taste and to its new position of Irrepressible NobblyAdventure’.
8. RELAUNCHING IN 1997 Type of consumer Type of media Sampling Venues Promotional Activity
9. UB’S EFFECTIVE MKTNG STRATEGY Use the strength of the brand name to reach the target market effectively via links with comedy and humour Encourage sampling at events relevant to the target market to encourage trial and (ultimately) adoption Appeal to a young target market without alienating the current broad user base (housewives) Reach the target audience through appropriate media (cinema, radio, satellite, TV, magazines) Use PR/sponsorship as a cost effective vehicle to increase awareness and develop brand personality.