1. Discovering Traditions& Values of Our AsianNeighbourMarco D. MedurandaGrade 8, English Language Arts Teacher
2. ACTIVITY 1: Let’s CelebrateLet us see how well you canidentify a country and the traditioneach family celebrates.
7. Doyouthink Asian and African familiesorcountrieshavesimilar characteristics?
8. Whichof these characteristicsare commonlyobservedin FilipinoFamilies?
9. ESSENTIAL QUESTION•How can I better understandmy identity as an Asian?
10. 3. ViewingWatch this English subtitled video created inThailand. Then, respond to the messagethat it wants to convey. What Asian valuesare highlighted?
11. Reading Text:“The Story of the Aged Mother”How do you showyour love to yourmother/father andthe elderly?
12. Activity 2: Before you Read:Word Watch• In the middle of the Word Chart are words thatyou can find in the selection. In your group, tryto arrive with a definition based on how it isused in the text. Then, give examples of wordswith similar meanings and words that haveopposite meaning. Finally, use the word in asentence.
13. DESPOTICdefinitionsynonymssynonymsantonymsantonymsUse it in a sentence
14. Reading Text:
15. MANDATEdefinitionsynonymssynonymsantonymsantonymsUse it in a sentence
16. Reading Text:
17. SUMMITdefinitionsynonymssynonymsantonymsantonymsUse it in a sentence
18. Setting the purpose for reading:Read closely thepassage and takenote of the traditionsof values of theJapanese as reflectedin the folktale, “TheStory of the AgedMother.”
19. Did you have fun reading the “Thestory of the Aged Mother”? In agroup of five answer the questions inthe story wheel to get to know moreabout the folktale. Share your answerwith the class.ACTIVITY 3: STORY WHEEL
21. Activity 4: Going JapaneseUsing the chart below, write down the values and traditions ofthe Japanese people that you can infer from the selection, “TheStory of the Aged Mother”.
22. Pair work:Answer the following with a partner.1. Do you find the values and/or traditions of theJapanese people illustrated in the story similarto your values and/or traditions as a Filipino?2. Why is it important to know the values andtraditions of our Asian neighbours?
23. Activity 5: Group WorkIn groups of 5-6, plan and work out the following tasks.1. Letter to the CharacterWrite a letter to the young man in the story.Express your opinion on his values, decisions andactions as revealed in the folktale. What would youwant to tell him regarding what he did to save hermother?
24. 2.Connect a songThink of a song that relates to thetheme of the selection. Present it to theclass and explain why is it connected to thesignificant human experience in the story.Activity 4: Group Work
25. 3. Poster –making /CollagePresent a collage or a poster thathighlights the conflict that the charactershad experienced in the story. Be ready toexplain your output.Activity 4:Group Work
26. Activity 4:Group Work4. DramatizationDramatize the most meaningful part ofthe story. Be ready to act with genuineemotions. Assign someone to explain whyyou consider that part of the tale as themost significant.
27. Activity 4:Group Work5. Prayer for the ElderlyWrite a universal prayer inspired by thefolktale you have read. Express yourinnermost wishes or earnest desires forevery elderly in the world.