1. Case Study:Educational ARG Alternate Reality Game Contact email@example.com USA: +1 415 287 4150 Europe: +44 207 193 4567
2. About the Client • Doubletake Studios (DS) is a creative agency based in Tampa, Florida • DS pitched and won a project to provide a connected learning experience to 13-17 year olds across 17 schools in the state of Florida • DS handled all client liaisonDoubletake Studios • DS created all story and production content • Transmedia Storyteller Ltd worked with DS as silent partner providing consultancy and our Conducttr platform as a managed service to deliver the learning experience
3. Background and Results• Production Team – 1 fulltime person at Doubletake Studios (plus team as needed for story, web design, video & graphics production) – 1 person part-time from Transmedia Storyteller Ltd• Results – More that 600 students took part – Conducttr handled more than 4000 character-to-student interactions – Engagement: 38% Engagement measured as ratio of student action to character call-to-action.
4. Workflow timeline• Aug 2011 Doubletake Studios consult with Transmedia Storyteller Ltd on use of Conducttr• Sept 2011 Doubletake Studios wins the project• Dec 2011 First play test for teachers and DS’ client• Jan 2012 Second play test for project financial sponsors• Feb 2012 Live with students Feb 6th-Feb 24th (3 weeks) In the play test, the 3 week experience is compressed to 3 days with one day = 1 week. After each test the experience is reset to be run again.
5. Story• Cosmic Voyager Enterprises (CVE) is a space cargo company based in Florida.• CVE employs many people in the neighboring towns and takes its corporate social responsibility seriously• On Feb 6th 2012 a CVE rocket crashes into the small town of Millisville, FL causing physical and possible long-term environment damage from the payload• The CVE executive team must complete a report for the board & investors that explains their action plan.
6. Experience• Students form into teams of five to play a C-level executive role: CEO/COO/CMO/CFO/GC• Communications come from fictional characters inside and outside the company• Each student gets role-specific communications (e.g. the CEO only gets information intended for the CEO)• Students must collaborate inside the classroom to share knowledge and discuss solutions• They are given a fictional budget that is insufficient to cover all their needs. Hence they are forced to make compromises which generates ethical and financial discussions• Business partners from the local community visited classrooms to support teachers.
7. Learning objectives• Teach ethics and economics• Simulation of real-life scenario• Self-guided problem solving• Collaborative working• New media comprehension
8. EngagementINTERACTION• Personalized replies to incoming emails & Tweets from fictional charactersETHICAL DECISIONS• “The Whistleblower” • Employee who contacts the students claiming that the payload was over weight• “The Extortionist” • Dept. Environment agent that proposes a pay-off for him to write a more favorable report.GAME-STYLE REWARDS• Rewards based on involvement: – “I like what you’re doing, I’ve recommend a bonus increase at the next pay review board” – “You’re asking great questions, you can have use of the company seats behind the catcher…”
9. Production materials• Videos – YouTube and embedded on website• Facebook & Twitter profiles• “Corporate website”• Report documents (PDFs)• Teacher & project funder support – Lesson guide – Weekly advanced “cheat sheet”• Interactive communications – Emails, Tweets, Facebook status updates
10. Students love to role-playFictional environmental activist
11. Conducttr• Manages all student registrations – “I want to register as CEO for Royal Palm Beach” – students tagged by role and school• Manages all teacher registrations and assistance – “tell me the story so far” -• Manages all social media and email communications• Allows re-run of experience after tests & annually• Produces all performance metrics
12. Next steps• Re-run the experience for new students• Create new stories & scenarios• Tackle new topics & learning objectives
13. Contact• Conducttr: Transmedia Storyteller Ltd• Educational ARG: Doubletake Studios Transmedia Storyteller Ltd Doubletake Studios Robert Pratten, CEO Terri Hall, President firstname.lastname@example.org 105 S. Fielding Ave. Suite B USA: +1 415 287 4150 Tampa, FL 33606 Europe: +44 207 193 4567 Tel: 813-251-6308