1. Internship under IIM Professor
SAMEER MATHUR, Marketing Professor, IIM Lucknow;
Ph.D. (Carnegie Mellon University) ,
MS (University of Illionois at Urbana Champaign);
BTech (IIT Roorkee)
28. 2. Assessing Market
Values Scanning the Marketing Environment, Forecasting
Demand and Conducting Marketing Research
Creating Customer value and customer
Analyzing Consumer Markets
Analyzing Business Markets
38. Specialty of Indian Market
• Large Youth Population
• Increase in the Internet and Smartphone users
in the previous decade
• Increase in the middle income group
• Flexible Government Policy
• Micromax in 2008, entered mobile handset
business and by 2010 became the largest
Indian domestic mobile handsets company.
• Through its emphasis on adapting to the
changing market dynamics, introducing
feature-rich phones and smartphone’s that
are innovative and unique, Micromax has
today become a brand to reckon with.
First Long Battery Life Phone with 30 days battery backup
o X1i Marathon Battery phone with 30 days standby time & 17 days
First Dual SIM Dual mode active Phone (GSM+CDMA)
o Micromax GC700 is the first GSM + CDMA Mobile phone
41. • First Gaming Device
o G4 Gamolution phone with motion sensor gaming like Wi-fi
• First Women’s Line of Devices : o Q55 Bling phone- First
42. • First Superphone with Gesture Control
Created a new category called ‘Superfone’ with Gesture Control,
powered with 1GHz dual core NVIDIA Tegra 2 Processor.
43. Marketing Strategy by Micromax
1. Newer, cheaper and better products
One of the earliest phones Micromax introduced was X1i that
promised 30 days battery backup. After this it introduced the
first dual-sim dual standby phone, the X600 Gravity.
2. Leave no segment
In a market where there were almost no gadgets aimed at ladies,
the company took the courage to introduce a phone aimed at
44. 4. Brand building
In 2012 it went for an International look. It started with TVCs
that featured out-of-India landscapes and users. By the end of
the year it signed Hugh Jackman as its brand Ambassador for
5. Grabbing the Market
With Samsung as the only company selling 5-inch Galaxy S3 (4.8
inch) and a bigger Note (5.3-inch) in India at premium prices,
Micromax zeroed-in on the 5-inch segment.
45. 8. Customization
The Company have realized that in the next year there will be cheaper phones
that will move from 4-core processors to 8-core powerhouses. It is the first
domestic company that was rumored to launch an octa-core phone in the
market next year.
46. Recent Achievements
• Micromax is planning to launch an IPO of 2.15
crore shares to raise around Rs 2270 million.
• Micromax, according to IDC, has a 4.1 percent
market share in India and is now valued at
over $1 billion. M Financial, Citigroup,
Edelweiss and Nomura are the book running
lead managers to the issue.
47. Competitors in Indian Market
• Samsung is the biggest challenger to Micromax with nearly
22 percent market share. (the company had 19 percent
market share in Q1)
• Micromax also shipped 2 million devices this quarter and its
Canvas range has done well to boost the company’s volume
54. Facts on Disaggregation
1) Consumer relationship is to shift from
product brand towards trusted and credible
2) Tactical activities such as competitive
reactions, product trial coupons and selective
promotions are implemented.
57. Food & Family
• Kraft foods introduced a quarterly magazine
called Food & Family.
• Centerpiece to build consumer relations.
58. Channel Relationship
• In recent times, most dramatic change is the
rise of retailers.
• Companies have started implementing,
relationship based approach to marketing
• Brands cannot afford to be delisted from any
of the major retailers that now control the
access of the consumers.
59. Channel Relationship
• Loyalty card introduced by TESCO LLC, UK proved to
be a ‘gamechanger’ for the firm. It’s retailers who
delivers the solution, not the branded goods
60. Brand Management
• In 1931, P&G pioneered an organizational
innovation, brand manager, as a means of
focusing the firm’s resources on key market