2. CHAPTER: 3
THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT SYSTEM
• The local government council is the closest
government to the people in a democratically
• Local government is the third tier in the
hierarchy of government aside from state and
3. THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT SYSTEM IN
• The local government is the third tier of the
administrative structure in Somalia.
• There are 82 local government areas in
Somalia under the 1989 Constitution.
• It is the tier of government closest to the
people and considered the most important
facilitator of economic and social
development at the grassroots.
• Each local government area is administered by
a local government council comprising of the
chairman who is the chief executive of the
local government area, the vice chairman and
other elected members who are referred to as
• The chairman is normally elected, but can
under special circumstances be appointed by
the governor of the state .
• He presides over all meetings of the council and
supervises the activities of the local government.
• The Constitution guarantees the existence of the
local government under a law, which makes
provision for their establishment,
structure, composition and finance.
• A local government council within a state is also a
partner in progress for the purpose of achieving
desired economic planning and
6. District and Regional Administration
Articles 3- Conditions for the establishment of new
• A district is territorial jurisdictions with define
• The population figure in number of the district
should be a minimum of 50,000 inhabitants.
• Should generate a revenue minimum 70% of its
• The distance in between two districts should not
• A district should be composed of five Villages.
• Each Village should fill the following conditions:
– To have a minimum of 10,000 inhabitant.
– To has intermediate school as well us Quran schools
– A police station and administrative local
– A health center.
– Should generate 14% of the general income revenue
of the district.
8. Conditions For The Establishment Of New
• Composed of minimum 4 districts.
• Capable to raise 70% of its budget.
• The population number should not be below
• The width of the regional territory should not
be bellow 400km square.
9. Article 5
District and Regions
• Country districts are those existing under each
region as per date of 31/12/1990.
• Country regions are 18 regions.
• Provisional capital of the regions are those
existing by the date 31/12/1990.
• The capital of Federal republic of Somalia is
Mogadishu as stated in Article 9 of the
Provisional Constitution of Federal Republic of
Somalia and shall have special legal status by law.
10. ARTICLE 8
SELECTION OF THE REGIONAL COUNCIL MEMBERS:-
• Each district shall select four (4) members
among which the chairperson is a part of.
• The selected members shall proceed to the
provisional capital as representative of their
respective districts to become members of the
regional council with the exception of the
district chairperson who shall return to his/her
11. Article 13
• No member of the district and regional council
be subjected to arrest or physically searched,
or other dwellings are searched unless he/she
been caught in the act of committing crime
that calls for compulsory detention.
• If it is proved that she/he committed crime, it
is imperative that the act of crime be reported
to the chair of the council in which he/she is a
member to approve his warrant of the rest.
• Any member that is found guilty for a crime
committed shall lose his/her immunity
according to the law.
• The immunity rights and privileges will
terminate with the office tenure.
13. Article 14
District Administration Council:-
• The district administration council is
composed of 14 members:
• Chairperson of the district administration also
being the city mayor.
• First deputy chairperson.
• Second deputy chairperson.
• Secretary of Social Affairs.
• Secretary of Planning and Development.
• Secretary of Economic and Financial Affairs.
• Secretary for Security Affairs.
• Secretary for youth and Sports.
• Secretary for Justices, Religious Affairs.
• Secretary for land, Housing, Development,
Tourism and Wildlife Protection.
• Secretary for Information and Culture
• Secretary for Rural Development, Production
and Environmental Protection.
• Secretary for Women Development, Family
Care and eliminate bad customs and practices.
• Local government council is the closest of all the
three tiers of government to the common citizen;
they exist at the grass root level.
• For it to perform its duties, the Constitution
guaranteed each local government council
separate existence, local government character
and the main functions.
• The constitutional guaranteed nature of the local
government shows the importance of that tier of