8. The motherboard is also referred to as a circuit board for the
computer system. It is also called the logic board or the
In the computer system, the motherboard is the biggest
component that controls all the other components of the
computer system and bridges a link between all components.
Various components such as ROM, CPU, RAM, PCI slots, USB
ports, and other components are connected to the motherboard.
The controller’s devices such as DVD, hard disk, mouse, and
keyboard are also connected to the motherboard. The computer
system does not start without the motherboard and it acts as the
backbone for starting the system.
9. Some special features of the motherboard:
Motherboards significantly support various components of a
It supports a single type of CPU along with different types of
It is also responsible for compatible power supplies and
allows everything works correctly together.
Other devices like a sound card, graphics card, network card,
different adapters, and peripherals are also compatible with
motherboard. If they are not, then they will not work
10. USB (Universal Serial Bus):
• USB is an industry standard that creates specifications for
connectors, cables and protocols for connection; power supply
(interfacing) and communication among computers, computer
peripherals as well as other desktops.
• There are a great many USB hardware including several different
connectors, of which USB-C is the latest kind.
• The CPU slot connects the central processing unit to the
motherboard of the computer system.
11. CPU Chip:
• The central processing unit controls all the functions of the
computer. It controls the overall flow of tasks and functions of the
• The central processing unit is commonly referred to as the brain of
the computer system.
• The RAM slots are used to connect the RAM (memory) with the
• In a computer system, there are primarily two RAM slots but in
some cases, there can be four or more slots in the motherboard
which increases the memory of the computer system.
12. Power Supply Slot:
• The power supply slot provides an electric supply of around
110 ac power to the computer system. This connector
consists of 20-pins that are used for maintaining the power
supply of the computer system.
• Integrated drive electronics (IDE) is a component that is
issued for hard drive control. At present, the computer
system does not support the IDE controller. They are also
referred to as ATA or Parallel ATA.
13. PCI Slot:
• The PCI or the peripheral component interface is mainly used to
connect the expansion cards with the computer.
• The other PCI devices such as the sound card, network card,
video, card, modems, and other devices can also be connected.
At present, the computer system does not support the PCI
• Industry-standard architecture (ISA) is the standard architecture
for expansion buses and is issued to connect input devices and