SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
This is a presentation on the current state of Agile Coaching as a profession. It was used to illustrate the difference between consulting and coaching and list coaching competencies as well as Agile special focus areas. It graphically describes a possible career growth path using two complementary views. Included are lists of educational resources - tools, courses and books.
The Agile Coaching Profession
Agile SoCal 6/15/14
Roger W. Brown, Certified Scrum Coach
What is Coaching?
Coaching is a relationship in which one person is primarily
dedicated to serving the long term development of effectiveness
and self-generation in the other.
- Doug Silsbee
What Tools Does a Coach Have?
Mechanics Soft Skills Leadership
Tools Questions Advice
Models Listening Guidance
Frameworks Facilitation Discovery
What is an Agile Coach?
A person with expert knowledge of one or more areas
related to Agile Software Development
who understands the difference between
coaching and consulting
and has coaching competencies
and a coaching mindset
applied in service to personal and
towards greater success through
Source: I made this up!
What Is Agile Coaching?
Agile Coaching is an engagement with an organization during which you are
performing one or more of the following activities:
• Applying Agile practices in an organization to help it reach its stated
• Assessing team(s) and organization(s) for effectiveness in applying Agile
principles and practices
• Mentoring others in Agile principles and practices
• Advising and consulting with organizations and leadership on Agile
• Facilitating team(s) and groups to achieve higher quality collaboration and
enable greater results
• Developing team, leadership and organizational agility through guided
self-discovery and growth
• Challenging the organizational and leadership status quo and enabling an
Source: Adapted from the Certified Scrum Coach ™ Program
Why Do Companies Hire Agile Coaches?
• Deep Knowledge of Agile
• Broad Experience
• Impartial Perspective
• Access to Resources
• Coaching Competencies
• Reinforced Learning
ICF Core Competencies
A. Setting the Foundation
1. Meeting Ethical Guidelines and Professional Standards
2. Establishing the Coaching Agreement
B. Co-creating the Relationship
3. Establishing Trust and Intimacy with the Client
4. Coaching Presence
C. Communicating Effectively
5. Active Listening
6. Powerful Questioning
7. Direct Communication
D. Facilitating Learning and Results
8. Creating Awareness
9. Designing Actions
10. Planning and Goal Setting
11. Managing Progress and Accountability
Agile Beyond ITLean Startup
The Coaching Mindset
• Client Growth
• Personal Growth
• Holistic/Systems View
Agile Coaching Business Models
• Full-time Internal Agile Coach
• Internal Agile Coach with another role
• Agile Coach in an Agile Coaching Company
• Agile Coach in an IT consulting company
• Independent Agile Coach
Each has it’s own opportunities and challenges
The Job Market as
Consultant or Coach?
Agile Transition Plan for New Co.
- Buy tool AcmePlan ™
- Rename PMO to Agile Office
- Create Teams using HugeAgile™
- Embed 4 of our coaches
- 1 Day training for PMs and Tech
- 1 page Executive Training Manual
- Call me
Agile Transition Plan for New Co.
- Why are you doing this?
- How will you measure progress?
- How do you do it now?
- What is your company culture?
- Who are the decision makers,
leaders, Agile proponents?
- How will we choose pilots?
- What have you done so far?
- When shall I check back?