2. • What’s an overview?
An overview is a summary of the main points or general trends of a
diagram or graph.
• What is the process of selecting key information to form the
basis of an overview?
See the process in the next slide
3. Activity: look at the overview in step 3 and
answer questions 1-4 below for more
1 Which words / phrases show that these
are general trends (instead of details)?
2 Can you think of any other words /
phrases like this?
3 Does the candidate give any specific
percentages in the overview?
4 Which words / phrases does the
candidate use to refer to ‘percentage of
the population who travelled abroad’?
2) write notes about the key points the graph
1) look at the information in the vertical and horizontal axes
and different elements of the diagram/chart to get the main
3) transform your notes into an overview as in the example below.
It should be 20-40 words only.