3. Volleyball is a team sport in which
two teams of six players are
separated by a net.
Each team tries to score points by
grounding a ball on the other
team's court under organized rules.
WHAT IS VOLLEYBALL?
6. ROLE OF THE LIBERO IN VOLLEYBALL
● A Libero is allowed to substitute
any member of the team playing
once the ball is dead.
● A Libero can get “in” or out of the
playing area even without asking
permission from the official.
● A Libero cannot attack the ball in
the attacking area or in attacking
area. the main duty of the libero
is to stop, retrieve the ball and
make a defensive play.
7. The first team to get a 25
points they will declare as
In officiating the volleyball
games the duties and
function of the officials
should be final.
10. ● The officials are composed of the “first” referee,
second referee, scorer and the linesmen”.
● Only the first and second referee may blow the
whistle during the match.
● The first referee gives the signal for the service
that begins the rally.
● The first and second referee gives the signals at
the end of the set.
● The first referee is located at the end of the net.
11. Prior to the match the first referee:
➢ Inspect the conditions of the playing area, the ball
and the other equipment.
➢ Perform the toss coin with the team captains.
➢ Authorized the faults above the net and it’s upper
➢ First referee decided upon the faults of the server
and the positions of the serving team.
12. Functions and Duties of the Second Referee
➢ Second referee is the
assistant of the first referee.
➢ The second referee controls
the work of the scorer.
➢ At the end of the sets he
check the actual positions
of the player on the court
corresponding to those on
the lie-up sheets.
13. ➢ Prior to the match and set, the scorer should register the data of the match and
➢ The scorer records the starting line up of each team.
➢ Record the points scored and ensure that the scoreboard indicates the right
➢ Record the time-outs and players substitutes controlling their number and
informs the second referee.
The Duty and Functions of the Scorer
14. The Linesmen The Linesmen stand at the corners of the court,
on the other side from the service zone
diagonally at 1-2m from the corner.
● signal the ball “in” or “out” whenever the ball
lands their lines.
● signal the touches of “out” balls by the team
receiving the ball.
● signal when the ball crosses the net outside
the crossing space touching the antenna.
● The lines signal the foot faults of the server.
01 What year Volleyball was invented? And who is the person
Who are the four officiating officials in volleyball?
What is the official size of the volleyball court?
16. SHORT QUIZ
Direction: Answer the following questions.
1. List down the officials of the volleyball
and explain their functions.
1. Organize a volleyball game and