3. Action Verbs
• An action verb tells what people or things can
• These are some action verbs:
4. Linking Verbs
• A linking verb connects (links) the subject to
words in the predicate.
• These are some linking verbs:
5. Verb Phrases
• A phrase is a group of words.
• A verb phrase is a verb that has more than
one verb in it.
helping verb + action verb = verb phrase
has + jumped = has jumped
Has jumped is the verb phrase
6. Helping Verbs
• Helping verbs show the time of the action.
– Past (was, were, has, have, had), present (am, is, are),
and future (will)
• It comes before the main verb.
• These are some helping verbs (in a verb phrase):
• have skied
• has jumped
• has made
• have cooked
7. Which type of verb is it?
Which type of verb is in each sentence?
1. The dog has been to the vet.
2. She is a champion.
3. My uncle was a black belt.
4. The boy ran faster than anyone else.
5. We have played soccer for three
6. The race car driver drove slowly.