2. Back Ground Info
• In the court Case United States vs. Nixon, President Nixon is
being accused of being apart of a break in at the Water Gate
• once the burglars were arrested and the prosecutors found
out that President Nixon was involve they went after him.
• They soon found out that he had a tape recorder in his office.
So the prosecutors went after Nixon to turn over the tapes
and he would not.
• Nixon pleaded that there was national secrets on that tape
that could endanger the National Security, But the prosecutors
that the conversations between Nixon and his staff that
planned the heist were on the tape and that the president
should hand them over to the law.
3. Back Ground info
• President Nixon and his lawyers argued for that the tapes
that were used were apart of his executive privilege
where he had the authority to keep the tapes.
• However the prosecutors disagreed and argued that his
executive privilege does not stand when it deals with a
4. The Decision
• In the court case U.S. V. Nixon the Supreme Court ruled
in favor of the United States.
• So President Nixon was forced to hand over the tapes.
5. Significance of the Case
• In the Case of United States V. Nixon its significance is
that a U.S. President has never been tried of a crime and
taken to the supreme court before.