SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Teaching pilots Aviation English. Ideally instructors would like students to record and upload the audio for a facilitator to review. That’s impossible to do with SCORM or AICC alone. It requires extension mechanisms like LTI that can put all sorts of files and data in multiple systems without the ability to easily pull it together as you need. SCORM and AICC assumed a very auto-didactic learning model. We know that one size doesn’t fit all. Learning models can be self-paced or facilitated… teaching to one learner is still important, but teaching the learner in context with a cohort is also important. in the SCORM world, you never had the data.
There’s growing needs for training certificates, credentialing and microcredentialing. SCORM and AICC never addressed this.
Type-rating training, a two-week activity, can be one “presentation” with intense telemetry and detailed reporting. Extensions can give the blow-by-blow of what happened in high stakes training. All you can do in SCORM is score, status and time.
These real-world use-cases had to be addressed. We knew that technology itself wasn’t a barrier. Our barriers have been a lack of vision of how to commonly apply technology to deal with these use cases, improve performance of aviation professionals and save lives.
This is why cmi5 is part of the xAPI community. It solves incredible challenges for the aviation industry that benefit ALL of us in the training industry.
the reason why you care bout cmi5 is that solves a lot of problems with AICC and SCORM
Limited in what you can record in AICC and SCORM. Most people don’t use all of the data model (list of things you can record). No one makes a list that’s perfect - probably things you don’t need, but the restriction prevents recording “special things”
Problems with not implementing properly, by not supporting all the data model elements.
CMI5, you’re required to record this data and required to get it back out. Hurdle with SCORM and AICC was getting the data recorded.
CMI5 consciously not addressing reporting or querying… just that the data needs to be made available to access it - attatchments, extensions, extra context — there’s a requirement to retrieve it, but CMI5 is mute on how
* “retrieve and show all statements to a user (with appropriate permissions)”
* Must decode attachments and make it available as a file in the original MIMEtype
Extensions in context: * Reasons why something got waived
Extensions in State * Entitlements * Passing launch parameters
cmi5: xAPI for LMSs
Sabashiro Beach, LLC
cmi5 Working Group Leader
LMSs are Needed More
…but not the LMSs we have today.
• What is cmi5 ?
• Why is cmi5 important ?
• What does cmi5 get you ?
• What are the “extra rules” that cmi5 defines ?
What is cmi5 ?
• cmi5 is a set of “extra rules” for xAPI
• The “extra rules” in cmi5 define “plug-and-play”
interoperability between traditional LMS systems
and learning content activities
• Logical components
• LMS – Learning Management System (includes a LRS
learning record store)
• AU – Assignable Unit (learning content/activity launched
Why is cmi5 important ?
• It is a BIG improvement over SCORM and AICC !
(Many new features and can map to existing ones)
• Profiles like cmi5 are crucial for plug-and-play
interoperability. xAPI is not interoperable by itself
because it is too broad.
• cmi5 is the “training wheels” that the industry
needs to adopt and understand xAPI.
• The Industry understands the current LMS model
• LMS adoption of cmi5 will lead to other xAPI profiles.
Here’s what you get with
• The benefits of xAPI
• Content will plug-and-play with your LMS (no custom
• Record ANY data you want (and get it back!) – LMS is
required to provide a user interface to access all cmi5
sessions recorded in the LRS.
• Eliminate Pass/Complete confusion
• Eliminate embedded vs. separate window launch
• Better support for hosted content/content as a service
So what does that mean ?
• Your content can now do really cool things that you can
record in the LMS !
• Language training – record voice responses
• Detailed custom “telemetry data” of what happened in the
• Give assignments where learners must take photos or draw
• Have your content generate a PDF certificate and send it to
• No more hassles with windowing !
• No more confusion over Passed vs Completed
• You can host content in other domains much more
What does this mean for
• LMSs need to implement an LRS and manage access to
• LMSs will need to write to the LRS prior to launching
• LMSs will need to change the way they launch content
(a URL query string with a content defined window)
• LMSs must determine when to void erroneous
statements – cmi5 doesn’t allow content to void
• LMSs will need to provide a reporting capability that
queries the LRS to provide access to all statements,
extensions, attachments, etc.
In general, the cmi5 rules
• Rule #1 – You must conform to xAPI.
• Rule #2 – You can do whatever you want in xAPI as long
as it does not conflict the cmi5 specification.
• Rule #3 – LMS must use the cmi5 defined launch
mechanism to a launch cmi5 AU’s.
• Rule #4 – All sessions must include the required cmi5
• Rule #5 – LMS is required to support a (XML) course
structure to define implied sequence and completion
criteria for learning activities in a registration
• Rule #6 – The LMS must provide a user interface to
access all data recorded.
cmi5 defines the following
• Launch Requirements
• URL launch line
• LRS Authentication
• Basic Authentication delivery via “fetch URL”
• LRS/LMS Reporting Requirements
• (Additional) Statement API requirements
• (Additional) State API requirements
• (Additional) Agent Profile API requirements
• Course Structure
• (XML) defines implied sequence, moveOn rules, launch
window properties, launch parameters.
• cmi5 is a set of extra rules that make sure learning
content and LMS systems can work together.
• cmi5 will greatly enhance the interoperable
features for the current LMS model.
• cmi5 will serve as an example for other “xAPI
profiles” and accelerate more xAPI adoption.
Join Us !
• The cmi5 working group holds weekly web
conferences every Friday at 10:30am
• Follow us on Twitter:
• Questions ?