Arno Schmickler- The unsustainable UK Housing Market #housingfinance
1. By 2031 England will face a shortfall of 2.5 million homes.
• Home owners spend on average 20% of
their income on mortgage repayments
• 11% annual house price growth to August
2014 (In London up to 30%)
• Private renters spend on average
40% of their income on rent
• 8.2% annual rent increase to
August 2014 vs. 1.25 % annual
wage growth over the same period
An unsustainable market
2. Housing Crisis in England
250,000 new homes needed p.a., only 114,000 built.
Significant socio-economic impact of the housing crisis:
• Housing benefit bill now stands at £21.5bn (27,4 Mrd EUR)
• 22.5% of housing benefit claimants are in employment
• 1.7 million households on housing waiting lists
• 58,000 households in temporary accommodation
• 50,000+ households accepted as homeless
3. Three Big Ideas
• Freedoms and Flexibilities
Housing associations will be central to efforts to end the housing crisis.
Our asks of the next UK government:
1. A new Housing and Infrastructure Bank
2. The introduction of Local Land Strategies
3. Housing associations to have more control over
the rents they set and who they house
4. Homes for All: A growing role for
By 2033 English housing associations can:
• More than double the number of homes we
currently own and manage
• House over 12 million people (1 in 5)
• Significantly increase the homes for market
rent and sale (build 1 home for market rent
or sale for every two affordable homes)
• Take the lead in transforming communities,
providing access to opportunities and
5. The Homes for Britain campaign
1. Party Conferences - September-October
We are taking the message directly to politicians at the three main parties’ conferences.
2. #Housingday - 12 November
Support and join in with #housingday on social media - we’ll focus on what a difference
a good home makes.
3. Ho, Ho, Homes for Britain - December
Festive campaign activity to tell politicians about the true impact of the country’s
shortage of homes on real people.
4. Amplifying the Message - January- February
Spreading the word wider through billboards, posters and attention-grabbing activities
that can’t be ignored.
5. Homes for Britain Rally - 17 March
Thousands of people coming together in the heart of Westminster for the biggest
housing rally in a generation to urge the parties to back our call.
6. The Home Straight - April
Your last opportunity to take the campaign message back to your local politicians once
more before the election.