Presentation by Scott Dmytrow of Prism Worldwide into a RHMA-related product. Delivered at the California Asphalt Pavement Association "Where the Rubber Meets the Road" asphalt rubber educational workshop April 18, 2023 in Sacramento.
Prism was founded on the principle that
there should be a better use for end-of-
life (ELT) tires.
We are bringing new patented chemistry
and technology to the market that
produces novel polymers that can be
used in a broad range of applications.
Our polymers enable higher value uses
for end-of-life tires and offer a route to
Making Tires More Circular™.
VIATEC TECHNICAL POINTS:
• ViaTec™ is made exclusively in USA:
• High solubility in asphalt ~99%
• Stiffens asphalt (higher softening point, lower penetration values)
• Improves PG grade, elasticity (can improve both upper and lower
• Easy to incorporate -- ~30 minutes mixing at 300-350˚F to become
fully homogenous – (dependent on asphalt, equipment, etc.)
• Delivered in supersacks
• Dry storage stability
• Includes antioxidants, antiozonates to improve aging characteristics
• Favorable LCA compared to typical synthetic polymers
6. Additive Equipment and
1. Add the required amount to base asphalt that
has been heated to a minimum 310 to 325°F.
2. Begin mixing using a mixer head like the one
shown below at a rate of 500-1000 RPM for
~30 minutes. Check for homogeneity using
paint stirrer or spatula. If necessary, continue
mixing until homogenous. If needed,
temperature and speed can be increased to
achieve a smooth blend.