Ce diaporama a bien été signalé.
R. Balki Films
Marketing and Promotions
A cinephile and an Amitabh Bachchan fan, Balki made his
directorial debut with Cheeni Kum in 2007, followed by
Paa in 2009. With English Vinglish he turned producer.
Then came his third movie Shamitabh in 2015, and his last
release was Ki and Ka in 2016.
Before film-making, he was into ad-making for a long time
and just recently (in August) he quit Mullen Lowe Lintas
group, advertising for films.
Popular ads done
• Idea Cellular’s popular “Walk When You Talk” campaign
• Socially driven campaigns like “Jago Re” ads for Tata
• Fastrack’s progressive TVCs
• Pepsodent’s “Dishoom dishoom”
• Bajaj’s “Hoodibaba”
Cheeni Kum- Less sugar,
• Saw a lot of branding and product placement.
• The theme of the movie- “Sugar free romance”- promoted Sugar
• ICICI prudential propagated “Jeete Raho” ideology
• “Spice 6 Restaurant”-incidentally a part of Catch Spices, whose
spices and ketchup are depicted in the movie
• Coming from an ad-maker, one expects an integration of movie
Paa- Uncliched in its own
• Fresh movie theme and fresh marketing initiatives. They used
the usual platforms but in a creative way.
• Smart Messaging: Cinema activity where a slide pops out saying
“Stand up for the national anthem, or I’ll tell Paa”
• Brand Auro: The highlight of the movie weren’t the actors but the
• Engaging Properties: Mall activities like “Paa and I”, website
launch which had links to the Facebook and Twitter pages of
• Lastly, Big B’s make-up is a great marketing pull
• The first teaser ads showed just a bald head inside a cardboard
box with a caption saying ‘See you in December’
• Jaya Bachchan introduced the cast and crew of the film. Though
used in Hollywood, this is the first time that a Bollywood movie
will do this.
• Aishwarya Rai Bachchan oversaw promotions of the film, which
was co-produced by ABCL (Amitabh Bachchan Cooperation).
• The first time Big B promoted one of his films on his blog
Shamitabh - As
unconventional as it gets!
• Eros International collaboration; released in 3000+ screens
worldwide. Budget: 250 million.
• Attracted both Bollywood and Kollywood because of Amitabh
• Amitabh made a collaboration with ICC (International Cricket
Council) and gave live commentary during the India-Pakistan
• First movie to ever release an audio trailer; most
unconventional trailer launch
• The music launch also applauded music maestro Ilaiyaraaja’s
genius as the recipient of over 1000 awards and had Rajnikanth,
Kamal Haasan and Amitabh on the same stage.
• R Balki: “ Nothing about Shamitabh is conventional and the trailers
and movie-centric events are testimony to that. Our aim is to keep
audiences guessing and we hope that they come to the theatre to
• Bombay Dyeing launches its “Ebony and Ivory” collection through
Ki & Ka - Hatke promotions
• This movie is Balki’s first firm in which Mr. Bachchan did not play
the lead but instead promoted the movie through his VoxWeb
profile by releasing a photo of Jaya and him on the sets of the
film. Budget: 20 Crore
• Social media marketing through Snapchat - face swap posts
• Collaboration with Romedy Now
• Unnecessary product placement with no connection to the story
• Kareena Kapoor Khan even spoke on the Union Budget 2016
where she expressed her views on the special provisions should
be made for women and education should get more attention.
• “There are scenes in Ki & Ka that seem to exist only to promote
strategically placed consumer brands.” Scroll.in
• Arjun Kapoor co-hosted RJ Nasar’s “Bhabhi ka show” to be the
perfect house husband
• Vistara Airline collaborated with Ki & Ka and snippets of the on-
board and on-ground experience have been integrated into the
• Arjun Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor Khan attended a cook show
with host Sanjeev Kapoor when Arjun cooked for his on-screen
• Kit Kat Duo was release in association with Ki & Ka
• Balki trusts in the story, not the promotion. Also believes that
society changes when advertising does.
• Earlier, film promotions were very restricted. Today, it involves
the social media, foreign tours, chat shows, interactive
• Ki and ka’s marketing and promotions was not as interactive as
• Cheeni Kum’s promotions were dull
• Paa and Shamitab have stood out with regard to technique and
Nikita Shroff - 1537147
Chetna Sethia - 1537138