SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
After the fact identification -> It’s like being burgled and watching the CCTV footage the next day Vs having CCTV, burglar alarms and a fast response team to catch the thief and stop him.
Need to achieve both real-time identification AND blocking. Neither telcos nor software specialists had yet cracked this nut.
So many devices connected to your network via customers – that’s the way in for fraud
It’s not about making your network 100% secure – that is impossible. It’s about identifying when fraud does get in, and stopping it before it escalates. Thieves can still get in – it’s about chasing them out before they can do big damage.
It can be rapidly deployed and scaled via a series of network probes, centrally managed by SaaS. Each probe is capable of parsing fraud in one billion calls per month with no impact on call setup. If fraud is detected network operations staff receive a real-time alert, containing a ‘snapshot’ pinpointing the incident, with an online Command Centre portal available for full reporting & analytics.
And don’t forget that once we detect the fraud and block it, the fraudsters will no longer attack the network and will find different ways, so actually, the amount of fraud that has been prevented is much higher than this.
Gentlemen, you’ll be pleased to hear that for a change, in this instance, the quicker you are the better. (tongue in cheek, assuming it’s male dominated in the room).
If you want to ensure optimal protection for your network & customers, TollShield can be deployed on any provider's network, without effecting existing network setup.
Detect and block toll
fraud in real time
CEO Symbio Networks
Telco industry's dirty little secret
• Everyone is NOT talking about it
• Sales team not talking about it
• Engineers definitely don’t want to talk about it
• We need to talk about it
What is toll fraud
• Carried out in many different ways:
– International Revenue Share (IRSF)
– Call Termination Hijacking
– Private Branch Exchange (PBX) Hacking
• US $46.3 Billion lost to fraud in 2013
• +117% growth in reported fraud
• Significant revenue loss for big carriers
• Can cripple or even bankrupt smaller players
CFCA, Global Fraud Loss Survey (2013)
Insight Research, Telecommunications Industry Review (2013)
A cost of doing business?
• Tools that claim to combat toll fraud, such as viewing
CDRs and retrospective reporting
• This is not prevention. The fraud has already
• In the past it was accepted as a cost of doing
…but it doesn’t need to be
Toll fraud grows and evolves
• White collar crime
• White space fraud
• Destination hijacking
• Fragmentation of numbering space – it’s not obvious anymore
what premium numbers are
• Fraudsters have got smarter…
…but so have we!
Example – Prefix fragmentation
• UK number regulator split 0845 range (equivalent
to 1300 here)
• 18 price bands based on 3 digits following the
• Total of 80 price bands across Non-Geographic
• Complexity + confusion = opportunity for
• You simply can’t block the whole country!
Next level of mitigation
• Patent-pending SaaS solution
• Developed in Australia
• Deployed in your network
– Adapts to the regular traffic patterns of your network
– Verifies your network traffic against global trends
– Self-learns, to find currently unknown types of fraud
• Tested on Symbio’s domestic network
• All traffic on Symbio network automatically
monitored for toll fraud
Blocked over 600,000 fraud calls
Across 83 destinations
• How well is your network protected?
Non intrusive deployment
• Network probes deliver automatic call blocks
• Passive, secure and virtually maintenance free
• No network changes required, low cost deployment
Router / switch
Secure feed Secure feedInternet /
Layer 2 Network
Service Provider TollShield
Discover and block
• Manually block based on call destination or
• Niche block (a customer and a call
• Automatically block highest-risk, most
Comms Day special offer
• How effective is your network's fraud protection?
• CommsDay Special Offer: FREE 3 month TollShield trial
– First 20 customers
– Free Trial includes:
• Free setup of one network probe
• 3 months free SaaS service and Probe Subscription*
• Valued at $8,500 (or more, depending on call volume!)
– Register today at the iBoss stand
*after the 3 month trial, regular monthly fees will be payable or the service can be cancelled & probe returned.