1. MARSELLA SCHOOL
IMPROVEMENT PLAN - TERM 1– 2023
NAME: ______________________________COURSE: 80_ DATE: ______________ TEACHER: NATALIA
Topic 1: VERB CAN
EXERCISE 1: Complete the sentences with CAN or CAN’T according to the pictures
1. Elephants _______________ drive
2. Elephants _______________ paint
3. They __________________ swim
4. They __________________ climb
5. They __________________ ___________ English
EXERCISE 2: What can you do? Complete the chart using the vocabulary.
VERBS I can…. I can’t….
2. Drive a truck.
3. Speak German.
4. Play the guitar.
6. Jump over 2 meters
7. Play soccer
10. Eat snake
EXERCISE 3: Read the descriptions in the sentences and write on the line the corresponding word from the box
2. Refrigerator – Towel – Sofa – Sink – TV – Chair – Bed – Table
1. You can watch some programs on it_________________________
2. You can sit on it; it is in the dining room. _____________________
3. You can wash your hands in it, it is in the bathroom ____________________
4. You can sleep at night on it, it is in the bedroom ___________________
5. You can put your food on it, it is in the kitchen ________________
6. You can use it to dry your hands _____________________
EXERCISE 4: Complete with can o can't.
1. Where __________I see a good rock concert?
I _________ see a good concert in the stadium
2. Can Lisa speak French? No, she _____________.
3. What __________you do?
4. Can Lucy drive? Yes, she ___________.
5. Where _____________I buy a new printer? I ___________ buy a new printer in Alkosto
6. _____________ you read in Portuguese? Yes, I ___________.
7. __________I invite my friends? Yes, they ____________come.
8. _________ you help me, please? Yes, I ___________.
9. ___________ you play the piano? No, I ___________
10. I _____________find my keys. Where are they?
EXERCISE 5: Read the text, look at the
questions and select the answer
3. This is Kanzi. He is a bonobo chimpanzee. He is 29 years old
and lives in a special zoo in Iowa, in the United States. Kanzi is
very smart. For example:
*Kanzi can say about 500 with a computer. He can understand
about 3,000 English words.
*Kanzi can make things. He can make knives from stone.
* Kanzi can play the piano. He sometimes plays the piano with
famous singers, like Paul McCartney.
Bonobo chimpanzees are from Africa. They can jump and climb
trees. They are endangered. Today, there are about 10,000 to
50,000bonobos in the world.
1. Where are bonobo chimpanzees from?
a. The United States b. England c. Africa
2. How old is Kanzi?
a. 29 b. 27 c. 25
3. Where does Kanzi live?
a. In the dessert b. in a forest c. in a city
4. Kanzi can understand about _________ words.
a. 3.000 b. 500 c. 600
5. Kanzi can make _________.
a. Pianos b. computers c. knives
6. Can he use a computer?
a. Yes, he b. yes, he can c. no, he can’t 7. What instrument can Kanzi play?
a. Drums b. guitar c. piano
8. How many bonobos are there in the world today?
a. 20,000 to 50,000 b. 10,000 to 50,000 c. 1,000 to 10,000
EXERCISE 6: Match to words to make affirmative (CAN) or negative sentences (CAN’T). Look at the example.
* Make *English
* Climb * the piano
* use * knives
* play * a car
* swim * a computer
*ride * children’s songs
* understand * in the ocean * sing * trees *
drive * a horse
Example: Bonobos can make knives
“I AM PRETTY GOOD AT
TENNIS” a. I can’t play tennis
b. I can play tennis very well
c. I can play tennis a little
Topic 2 : Verb CAN
Connectors: BUT and AND
4. VERB CAN
I CAN dance I CAN’T dance CAN I dance?
She CAN dance She CAN’T dance CAN she dance? They CAN dance They CAN’T
dance CAN they dance?
CONNECTORS AND – BUT
I can swim AND ride bycicle
You can swim BUT you can’t dive
They can drive a truck AND we can drive a tractor
EXERCISE 7: Look at the information in the chart. Complete the questions or answers on the
1. Can Anne swim? ____________________________________
2. Can Railey climb? ______________________________
3. Can Charlie ride a horse? ______________________________
4. _________ Lenny ________________________? No, she can’t.
5. _________ Anne _______________________? No, she ___________
6. ________________________________________ride a bike? No, he can’t.
EXERCISE 8: Using the chart complete the sentences with CAN or CAN’T according to the connectors.
1. Anne ___________ roller skate and she ___________ ride a bike.
2. Railey ___________ swim, but he ___________ ride a horse.
3. Charlie ___________ climb and he ___________ ride a horse.
4. Lenny ___________ swim, but she ___________ ride a bike.
5. Anne ___________ ride a bike, but Railey ___________.
6. Charlie ___________ skate, but Lenny ___________.
7. Anne ___________ climb, but Charlie ___________.
5. 8. Charlie ___________ ride a bike and he ___________ skate.
EXERCISE 9: Answer T (True) or F (False). Correct the false ones.
1. Jack can ride a bike. ______ 2. Sally can’t skate. ______
3. Jack can’ play basketball. ______ 4. Jack can’t play football ______
5. Sally can’t swim. ______ 6. Sally can’t skateboard. ______
7. Sally can ride a horse. ______ 8. Jack can play tennis. ______
WE USE CAN FOR …….
ABILITIES PERMISSION REQUESTS POSSIBILITIES
I can sing very well
She can play the piano
Can I leave early?
Can I use your car?
Can you help me?
Can you repeat?
He can win the race
The bridge can fall
EXERCISE 10: Order the next words to form new sentences, then classify them.
1. swim / I / very / can / well ________________________________________________________________ 2.
they / basketball / can / play / today ? _____________________________________________________ 3. a /
ride / Tony / can / bike ________________________________________________________________ 4. cook
/ he / can /? _______________________________________________________________________ 5. can’t /
Danna / guitar/ play / the ___________________________________________________________
6. help / you / can / mother / your ? __________________________________________________________
7. can’t / you / go / party / the / tonight / to ___________________________________________________ 8.
use / phone / I / can / your / ? ____________________________________________________________
Topic 3: PRESENT CONTINUOUS – PROGRESSIVE It is used to talk about ongoing actions
1. PRESENT CONTINUOUS (PROGRESSIVE)
6. Subject Verb TO BE Principal Complement (aux)
I am using a computer You are writing a message
He is studying mathematics She is playing the piano
It is flying
We are having fun
They are running in a competence
In this moment
2. PRESENT PROGRESSIVE
Subject Verb TO BE Principal Complement
In NEG Verb
I am not using a computer
You aren’t writing a message
He isn’t studying mathematics
She isn’t playing the piano
It isn’t flying
We aren’t having fun
They aren’t running in a competence
3. Verbs in PRESENT PROGRESSIVE
Verb Subject Principal Complement
TO BE Verb
Am I using a computer?
Are you writing a message?
Is he studying mathematics?
Is she playing the piano?
Is it flying ?
Are we having fun?
Are they running in a competence?
Yes, I am / No, I am not.
Yes, you are / No, you aren’t.
Yes, he is / No, he isn’t
Yes, she is / No, she isn´t.
Yes, it is / No, it isn´t.
Yes, we are / No, we aren´t.
Yes, they are / No, they aren’t.
EXERCISE 11: READING: Read the text and write the names on the lines
7. There are a lot of people at the Sport Café. Stacy and Laura are sitting at the counter. Stacy is
drinking a coffee and Laura is eating a slice of pizza. Chris is near Laura. He is watching TV. Tina and
Mary are near the door. Tina and Mary are talking. Mary is drinking a coke. At the next table, Hilda is
writing a letter and Jimmy is listening to music. Luis is reading a newspaper. Tatiana is looking at her
snorkel mask. In the corner Samuel and William are eating French fries. William is thirsty. Fred is the
waiter. He is taking Noah’s order, Oscar is reading the menu and Randy is eating a hamburger.
Complete with names. Who is who?
1.__________________ 2. __________________ 3. __________________ 4. __________________
5. __________________ 6. __________________ 7. __________________ 8. __________________
9. __________________ 10. __________________ 11. __________________ 12. ________________
13. __________________ 14. __________________ 15. __________________
EXERCISE 12: Look at the picture, identify the actions and answer the questions
8. 1. Is Gustavo surfing? ____________________________________________________________ 2.
Are Kelly and Paul skiing? _________________________________________________________ 3. Is
Kyle dancing? _________________________________________________________________ 4. Are
Sam and Petra swimming? _____________________________________________________ 5. Who is
climbing? ________________________________________________________________ 6. Is Billy
snowboarding? ___________________________________________________________ 7. What is
Rose doing? _____________________________________________________________ 8. Where is
Felipe canoeing? ________________________________________________________ 9. Who is
sailing? _________________________________________________________________ 10. Where is
Angela surfing? ________________________________________________________ 11. Where is
Randy climbing? _______________________________________________________ 12. What is Billy
doing? ____________________________________________________________ EXERCISE 13
READING: Read the text, circle the mistakes and write the correct form under the word. FUN IN THE
Julian and his friends are in the park. Julian is drink an orange juice. Harry and Emma is running and Daniel is
swiming. Carla is fixing her Ipod. Camilo and Andrea are studing Math and English. Felipe is writeing a postcard.
Jenny and Paola are dooing exercise. Everybody is haveing fun today.
EXERCISE 14: Change the verb into the present progressive form
1. Anna (rest) ____________________________ right now.
2. Bella (talk) ____________________________on the phone at this moment
3. They (help) ____________________________ the teacher right now.
4. He (run) ____________________________very fast.
5. Julia (bake) ____________________________ a chocolate cake this night.
6. I (have fun) ____________________________ fun at the school party.
7. You (dance) ____________________________ very nicely.
8. John (eat) ____________________________ salad and I ____________________________ fish.
9. 9. Marta (drive) ____________________________ and Chris (sleep) ____________________________.
10. It (rain) ____________________________.
11. I (write) ____________________________ my homework this afternoon.
12. We (work) ____________________________ on the new show this week.
13. Kate (lie) ____________________________ in bed now.
EXERCISE 15: Look at the pictures and write sentences using present progressive tense.
1 2 3 4.