3. 1.Need to distinguish right from
wrong, true from false.
2.The idea of fundamental right
or human right is undermined
by they presuppose some idea of
3.Truth is important for the
integrity of democratic process
• An opinion is a statement that cannot be
proved or checked
• It tells what someone thinks, feels, or
• Clue words for opinion statements are:
• think, feel, believe, seem
• always, never, all, none, most, least, best,
•It is the conformity
between the mind and
•Truth can be checked or proved
•We can check by conducting
some sort of experiment,
observation, or by verifying
(checking) the fact with a
•It means to combine a number of
different pieces into a whole.
Synthesis is about concisely
summarizing and linking different
sources in order to review the
literature on a topic, make
recommendations, and connect your
practice to the research.
14. HINTS FOR DECIDING IF A
STATEMENT IS TRUTH OR OPINION
• To recognize a TRUTH:
• Read each answer choice and ask yourself:
• “Can this statement be proved?”
Example: Which of these is a TRUTH?
A. We live in the best apartment in the city.
B. I believe that summer is the best season.
C. I think that spaghetti is a delicious meal.
D. The Philippine Star is a newspaper.
15. HINTS FOR DECIDING IF A
STATEMENT IS A FACT OR
• To recognize an OPINION:
• Read each answer choice and ask
yourself “Does this statement tell what
someone thinks, feels, or believes?”
• Look in the answer choice for clue
words that signal an opinion
16. OPINION EXAMPLES:
WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS NOT AN
• I think that US is the best state in which to
• Chocolate cake is the most delicious kind of
• Nearly 65% of our teens are over-weight.
• Taylor Swift is the greatest singer ever!
17. WHEN YOU’RE WRITING….
• Facts are often used to
• Good opinions are based
on facts, but they are