1. Dr. Priti Sonar,
Educationalist, Author, Trainer, Writer, Motivational Speaker
Educational Qualifications- M.A., M.Com, M.Ed., NET ( Education), NET
(Commerce), DSM, CCG, CCVE, Ph.D., MBA (Pursuing)
Experience- 14+ years of teaching experience, 7+ years of administrative experience.
Special Achievement- Ex- BOS (Board of studies) member of S.N.D.T Women’s
The term is typically used in the context of a form
of government in which all the citizen have the
right to vote.
The word democracy is derived from the
two Greek words namely ‘demos’ and ‘
‘demos’ means people and ‘cratia’ means
Abraham Lincoln said,
“Democracy is the government by
the people, for the people and of the
According to the education commission,
“ Democracy is the way of life and not a
mere political arrangement . It is based on
the principle of equal freedom and equal
rights for it’s members, regardless of
race, religion , sex , occupation.
7. Group 1 Characteristics of Democracy
Group 2 Dimensions of Democracy
Group 3 Equality
Group 4 Brotherhood
Group 5 Common Welfare
Group 6 Justice
Group 7 Importance of Democracy in
Group 8 Role of Teacher in Democracy
8. Characteristics of Democracy-
1. Democracy is a way of life. It is an
approach to various problems.
2. Democracy is a form of government is
based on the consent of the people.
3. Equality, liberty, justice and
decentralization are the watch words of
4. Democracy represents the will of the
5. People elect those representatives who
represent their needs and aspirations.
6. Every citizen of the prescribed age has
the right to contest election.
9. Dimensions of Democracy
1. Economic Dimension- This implies economic
equality as far as possible, satisfaction of the
basic needs of the people and equality of
opportunity in undertaking economic activities.
2. Educational Dimension- This implies equal
opportunity in obtaining education.
3. Ethnical Dimension- This means faith that an
individual is entitled to enjoy full respect for his
4. Political Dimension- This includes
participation of the people in government.
5. Social Dimension- This incorporates equality
of all, irrespective of caste, class, colour, creed,
sex and wealth etc.
13. Equality of outcome can be achieved by
making sure that everyone is supported to
have accesses to resources and decision
making & to be recognized values and
Equality implies the equal status of
every individual and ensuring equal
opportunities of development to every
The condition or quality of being a brother or
The quality of being brotherly; fellowship.
The belief that all people should act with
warmth and equality toward one another .
The definition of brotherhood is a relationship
between brothers or close friends, or is a
feeling of bonding with other people.
When a group of people all shares the same goals and
tribulations and support each other.
17. Universal brotherhood
The concept of universal brotherhood is based on
the saying that “ all men are the family of Allah or
In this sense the whole mankind into one
brotherhood and brings all of the members of the
human race to an equal footing in the matter of
fulfilling economic needs.
20. Common Welfare
Common welfare is where the
government is trying to help everyone.
The duty of promoting the general
welfare of the political community as a
whole has been one of the primary
it refers to promoting the common good
or putting the interests of everyone over
the interests of a select group or a few
The quality of being just; fairness: In
the interest of justice, we should treat
everyone the same.
22. Social justice
Social justice denotes the equal
treatment of all citizens without any
social distinction based on caste,
colour, race, religion, sex and so on. It
means absence of privileges being
extended to any particular section of
the society, and improvement in the
conditions of backward classes (SCs,
STs, and OBCs) and women.
23. How as a teacher you can promote
common welfare and justice?
24. 1. Instead of focusing on individual objective a
teacher needs to focus on collective
2. Her behavior needs to be unbiased.
3. She needs to give equal and fair attention to
4. Overall growth of the child should be the
5. Overall growth of the class should be the
6. No donation for admission
7. Admission should be on the basis of
entrance test only.
8. Hallo effect should be avoided as far as
25. Importance of Education in
Education enable the individual to
understand his rights and duties.
Education develop dignity of labor and
sense of personal worth.
Education develop values of Equality .
Education help to evaluate the policies and
programmes of political parties.
Education help to evaluate the merits and
demerits of candidates contesting election.
26. Significant implication of democracy
Education is essential to develop such
attitudes, skills and knowledge which
enabled the citizens to participate
intelligently in the social and other
Education helps to prevent exploitation.
Education helps to develop quality of
Education develop the qualities of
brotherhood , appreciation of other point
28. Education for all is a natural corollary of
Education is essential to a citizen to
understand and discern intelligently the
programmes of political parties.