SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
The Progression Review (RD2) and the Annual Review
Completing the RD2
Head of PAHC
When and why?
• After 12 months full-time
• After 24 months part-time
• This is the marker of arrival into true PhD territory…….
Is your PhD do-able and are you the person to deliver it?
• Application form
• Progression or transfer report (normally 5 – 6000 words)
• A one-page abstract
• An oral examination
The role of the scrutineers
• Not necessarily absolute ‘experts’
• Likely to be the same people who reviewed your RD1
• Audience is crucial!
What scrutineers are looking for
• Good structure
• A clear narrative around what your project is deigned to achieve
• A direct and succinct appraisal of the literature – as supporting your
• Aim – the overall intention of the project
• Objectives – the specific steps you will take to achieve your aim
• Discussion of chosen methods
• What have you achieved up to now?
• Abide by academic conventions
• One page long
• What is the project designed to achieve?
• What foundations in the literature/practice are you utilizing?
• What methods have you used/will you use to meets aims and
• Where does your potential original contribution lie?
Before the oral ‘examination’
• You will receive a report
• They want you to demonstrate the ‘ship’ is being navigated in the
• Expect constructive feedback and modifications to be made
• These shouldn’t be too great as of course you would have had
support beforehand from your supervisors
During the ‘oral’ examination
• You have the option of presenting your plan – do so in a logical
• Don’t feel you have to do everything in the presentation
• Present the main dimensions of the projects and...
• … your response to their main concerns
• An academic discussion on similar lines to your actual viva
• They will ask you to leave while they discuss their decision
The Annual Review
• Outside the supervisory relationship
• A chance for you to give honest feedback about how things are going
• Big Brother isn’t watching you
• Excellent, good, adequate or inadequate progress?
• Is there anything we can do to help you get where you need to be?