Richard Brinsley Butler Sheridan.
Nationality :- Irish
(4) Long term owner of London
theatre Royal, Drury Lane.
● Life of Sheridan
- Born in literary Family.
- In October of 1751 in Dublin.
- His Father Thomas Sheridan, was a playwright, actor, theatre
manager, orator, and scholar of English elocution.
- His mother Frances Sheridan wrote one of the Fairly
successful play and one respected Novel.
- Died in very young age.
- Until 11 educated near his home.
- Harrow school and prestigious
- proved to be excellent student.
- Began writing poetry during his
- Age of 17, left the school in 1768.
- His father, intended him to study
- 1770 Sheridan met Elizabeth and eloped with
- After three years, he Married with Elizabeth
- She was an outstanding singer and famed
- Move to London.
- Became successful.
- Literary Career.
● He wrote Farce called "Jupiter" along with
his friend N.B.Halhed.
● Known for :-
(1) Writing satire
(2) Comedies of manner
● - Sheridan as a playwright.
● Nine successful plays.
● his plays remain central part of Canon.
● performed world wide.
Famous works :-
(1) The Rivals (1775)
(2) The school for scandal (1777)
(3) The Duenna.
(4) A trip to Scarborough
(5) The Critic (1779)
The Rivals :-
- Flopped First Time because of
miscasting and play's excessive
- performed in London's Convent
- Five act play.
- The sucess of play derived from the
use of, “comedy of manner”.
The Duenna :-
- First performed at covent Garden
on November 21,1775.
- received 35 performances and
praised by audience and critics alike.
- This is a comic opera, written in three
- The play was composed by
Sheridan's Father - in - law Thomas
Linley sir. And his son Thomas Linley
The school for scandal
- performed in 8 May 1777.
- greatest comedy of manner in English.
- perfect example of restoration literature.
- presents comic situations and abound in sexual
- present corrupt people.
- play is satirical portrayal of the British Society of 18th
Adapted to film; First produced as a British silent film in
End of Sheridan's playwright career.
- In 1779, Sherdan produced his last successful work, The Critic or Tragedy
- His last play was Pizarro, met with popular acclaim but soon forgotten.
- Then in 1780, Sheridan made a career change. And engaged himself
towards political activities.
- Sheridan as a MP for 32 year, in whig. (1780 - 1806).
● Death :-
- Richard Sheridan died in London on July 7, 1816. At the age of 65.
- Though Sherdan expired in poverty,, he was mourned widely and buried at
Westminster Abbey, in poets’ corner.
1] ENCYCLOPedia. Com.
2] Britannica. Com
Apparemment, vous utilisez un bloqueur de publicités qui est en cours d'exécution. En ajoutant SlideShare à la liste blanche de votre bloqueur de publicités, vous soutenez notre communauté de créateurs de contenu.
Vous détestez les publicités?
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité.
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité pour nous conformer à l'évolution des réglementations mondiales en matière de confidentialité et pour vous informer de la manière dont nous utilisons vos données de façon limitée.
Vous pouvez consulter les détails ci-dessous. En cliquant sur Accepter, vous acceptez la politique de confidentialité mise à jour.