1. INCA seminar
Ribbon fibre technologies
Sumitomo Electric Europe Ltd
Department Manager Lightwave Network
2. Sumitomo Electric Industries – who are we?
Electronics Energy &
• ¥3.17Tn (£24Bn at ¥130 = £1) revenue in FY2018
• Approx. 240,000 employees worldwide
Installation costs and cable congestion
➢ Overlaying of low fiber count cable consume ducts and poles in waste.
➢ New duct and pole construction is expensive and difficult.
➢ High dense cable fully utilizes the existing duct investment.
➢ Thinner and Higher fiber count cables are required.
Conventional Loose tube Cable
Is there anything you are having trouble with?
- Short of fiber count
- Single fibers splicing
- Handling of Jelly filled cable
- Fiber access
Free Form & 200um Fiber Ribbon
12f 250um (Conventional)
Highly Flexible Ribbon
Thinner Fiber Ribbon
The world highest density ribbon cable.
6 sub ducts are needed
for 6 times cable installation.
5 sub ducts are saved!
Installation cost also saved !
➢ For Sumitomo 864f(Φ14.8),
to be done only once
➢ Total 864f installation
by 144f(Φ16.6) x 6times
➢ Each cable is installed
one by one
by 864f high fiber count Cable
◆Mass fusion splicing
Saves fusion splicing time dramatically
◆ High Packing
Flexible ribbon enable high
density cable by change its form.
◆ Compatible to single fibers
Connect with loose tube cable easily
➢ Total installation time also reduced by 75%.
➢ When the additional installation or quick recovery is needed,
Ribbon and high fiber count cable is more effective
to reduce installation time
2. Fiber Preparation
3. Splicing & Heating
4. Fiber Storing
864-f Ribbon Cable
-6 times Cable
Case of 864f
864f = 144f x 6
1. Cable installation
■Fiber color Code
Each fiber shall be identifiable
by ribbon marking and fiber color codes
■Ribbon marking Code
50 + 10 + 5 +1+1+1
Easy Fiber Identification
These will make profit right now
and also in near future
Less space per fiber and
more efficient usage of existing duct
- Quick splicing by ribbon fibers
- Quicker recovery
- Easy Cable handling
Sumitomo Cable can contribute,
16. Ribbon splicer
Ribbon fibres – splicing, what you need
...plus lint free wipes, IPA or other cleaning fluid, splice
protection sleeves and appropriate fibre holders
17. Ribbon fibres – splicing pliable 200um pitch ribbon
200um pitch ribbon
250um pitch v-grooves
• The practicalities
• Ribbon splicer v-groove pitch has
historically been only 250um
• T-71M12: 250um v-groove pitch
• Splice 250um pitch ribbon
• Splice 200um pitch ribbon using a
pitch changing holder, PCH-12
• T-71M12-200: 200um v-groove pitch
• A dedicated 200um pitch splicer
18. 4 4 4
Ribbon fibres – splicing 200um pitch ribbon on 250um pitch splicer
aligned for 250um
• PCH-12 pitch changing holder
• Cleave the Freeform™ ribbon at
the point where the matrix is 3x
• Position each 4 fibre sub-ribbon
into individual channels in the
• The fibres are now sufficiently
splayed to align with 250um pitch
19. Sumitomo Electric Industries – 30+ years fusion splicing
T-72C High Definition Core Aligner T-57 Standard Core Aligner
T-72M12 Ribbon Fibre T-400S Active Cladding Aligner
20. INCA Seminar 2019, Ribbon fibre technologies
Sumitomo Electric Industries