2. DEFINITION OF AL-SAHABI (COMPANION)
Someone who saw the Prophet PBUH, believed in him,
supported him and kept close to him for some period
sufficient to prove the quality of keeping company so that he
could understand something of the ways of shariah from him
4. The Companion's opinion that is not influenced by their ijtihad or their
personal opinion although if this opinion can be found in the Quran or the
Sunnah, then it is deemed as the explanation of the Quran or the Sunnah
The opinion that is expressly agreed by the Companions are consider as a
proof of Sharia's since it is consider as Ijma.
The contradict opinion with any clear ruling of the Quran or the Sunnah, the
preference would be given to the sources of rulings with higher rank
5. JUSTIFICATION OF QAWL AL-SAHABI
◦ Qawl Al- Sahabi is applauded
by majority of the jurists
(Hanafiyyah, Malikiyyah and
Hanabilah) and consider it as
a binding evidence.
◦ Shafiyyah has 2 views; Al-
Rajih they uphold the
In addition, the opinions of the Companions that spread widely and were not opposed by other Companions are considered as a proof by those jurists who regarded tacit ijma’ as a proof (Ijma’ Sukuti)
1) The argument of this view is that the opinions of the Companions although have possibility of wrong but were nearer to attain the truth on account of the association of the Companions with Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) for a long time; acquaintance with subtleties of the language; their knowledge of the cause and occasions of the revelation of the Qur’an, their observation of the acts of Messenger and listen to what has been said by him and knowing its objective. All these matters are not experienced by other mujtahids who succeeded them. Thus their opinions are more preferable.