PUBLIC DISCOURSE IN SOCIAL MEDIA
Ismail Fahmi, Ph.D.
Director Media Kernels Indonesia (Drone Emprit)
Lecturer at the University of Islam Indonesia
27 JULY 2022
1992 – 1997 S1, Teknik Elektro, ITB
2003 – 2004 S2, Information Science, Universitas Groningen, Belanda
2004 – 2009 S3, Information Science, Universitas Groningen, Belanda
2000 – 2003 Inisiator IndonesiaDLN (Digital Library Network pertama di Indonesia)
Mengembangkan Ganesha Digital Library (GDL)
Mendirikan Knowledge Management Research Group (KMRG) ITB
Membangun Digital Library ITB
2009 – Sekarang Engineer di Weborama, Perusahaan berbasis big data (Paris/Amsterdam)
2014 – Sekarang Founder PT. Media Kernels Indonesia, a Drone Emprit Company
2015 – Sekarang Konsultan Perpustakaan Nasional, Inisiator Indonesia OneSearch
2017 – Sekarang Dosen Tetap Magister Teknik Informatika Universitas Islam Indonesia
2021 – Sekarang Wakil Ketua Komisi Infokom MUI Pusat
Ismail Fahmi, Ph.D.
Lahir: Bojonegoro, 1974
Founder Media Kernels Indonesia
RELIGIOUS DISCOURSE IN SOCIAL MEDIA
This narrative category is taken from Faisal Nurdin Idris (2015), enriched from Sara Zeigar
(2016), keywords developed from both sources.
No Discourse Keywords
1 Hatred of Jews and Christians
Yahudi, Kristen, Nasrani, kafir, takfiri, murtad, non-
muslim, kristenisasi, zionisme, misionaris, rezim tirani
Rejection of Ahmadiyah and heretical
Ahmadiyah, aliran sesat (masukkan nama-nama aliran
3 Attitude towards Islamic differentiation Islam Liberal, Syiah, Islam Nusantara
4 Islam vs democracy demokrasi, khilafah
The application of Islamic sharia and
the establishment of an Islamic state
syariah Islam, negara Islam, khilafah, hijrah
6 Extremism sweeping
7 Terorisme syahid, jihad, mujahidin
CASE STUDY #1: KHILAFAH
(14 JUNI – 14 JULI 2020)
TOP INFLUENCERS “KHILAFAH”
SNA WITH HASHTAGS
• The rejection of religious moderation is almost always a package with the rejection
of democracy and the promotion of the caliphate.
• Strong pro-caliphate groups (1) attack and question the definitions, foundations,
values, and basic concepts of moderate religious/Islamic moderation (wasathiyah);
(2) associate religious moderation with secularism and deviations in Islam; and (3)
invite to return to Islam that is kaffah and pure.
• The rejection of religious moderation was also conveyed by raising the argument
that religious moderation encourages the rise of deviations in Islam, from LGBT to
• The rejection of religious moderation was also carried out by conducting campaigns
on social media, including the #WaspadaModerasiBeragama #ModerasiNotSolusi,
• The @muslimahnewscom account is the one most frequently attacked and
questioned about moderate Islam.
• The arrest of the MUI board by Densus 88, followed by calls for the dissolution of the
MUI, prompted further discussion on the definition of moderate Islam. This is because
MUI is considered a safe place for supporters of radicalism.
• The discussion about religious moderation raised by the Government is strong in the
amplification of the activities of government officials, such as the meeting of the Minister
of Religion Yaqut with the Minister of Islamic Affairs, Da'wah, also Saudi Arabian
Counseling Sheikh Abdullatif bin Abdulaziz, as well as the activities of the Banten Ministry
of Religion Regional Office.
• Discussions on religious moderation that were raised by the public were mainly in the
form of (1) criticizing the supporters of the caliphate; (2) often drawn to the area
of political support; and (3) appreciation for the activities of the Government, including
• Some influencers who talk about religious moderation in a positive tone are
@Ayang_Utriza, @YaqutCQoumas, @muhammadiyah.
• As for the influencers who are strong in pulling moderation conversations into political
conversations of support or identity politics, including @Dennysiregar7, @Uki23,
• Fadli Zon conveyed that radicalism is not a threat, because basically Muslims must
be moderate. Our problem is the economy.
• Hidayat Nurwahid said the pressure from certain groups of people who asked the
government to dissolve the MUI was a terror against moderate Islam in Indonesia.
• Ustadz Ismail Yusanto emphasized that religiously we are not commanded to be
radical Muslims, just as we are not commanded to be moderate Muslims. What is
certain is that we are commanded to be Muslims who fear Allah with true piety.
• Democratic politician Panca (@panca66) the Islamic majority value is moderate.
Radical Islam is few. But if the little ones continue to be exaggerated and Islam
continues to be cornered, don't blame what was moderate can become a true
• The Minister of Religion hopes that Saudi Arabia can explain Wasathiyah Islam and
tolerance between religious communities at the G20 moment.
• Governor Ganjar Pranowo asked religious teachers to continue to foster
solidarity in various circles of society in order to strengthen the unity and
integrity of the nation. Religious teachers, religious educators, are very
important to do religious moderation.
• Tuan Guru Bajang said that Erick Thohir's policy in the field of Islamic
economics reflected wasathiyah Islam because it encouraged balance.
• The Head of Regional Office of the Banten Ministry of Religion, Nanang
Fatchurohman, appealed to ASN to continue to sow the beauty of diversity
and to continue to spread the seeds of religious moderation in Banten.
• Ayang Utriza believes that Indonesian Muslims are moderate people, often
referred to as moderate-nationalist-humanist-tepasalira Indonesian Islam & the
people of the Republic of Indonesia.
• Education and generational observer Yusriana explained that overcoming the
damage to student association due to liberalization was by planting a strong
Islamic faith, not religious moderation.
• Muslim activist Wiwing Noeraini conveyed that the use of the terms radical
verses, moderate verses, then efforts to moderate verses considered
radical, clearly liberalizes Islamic teachings. The goal is that Muslims no
longer want to apply Islamic law as a whole.
• The account @faizalassegaf conveys that the concept of 'religious
moderation' was first introduced by the Sodomites, which led to free sex
& was destroyed by God.
• The @identity_muslim account conveys that human rights and democracy
foster the growth of LGBT. Muslims must fight LGBT, reject secularism-
HAM, reject democracy, reject moderate Islam.
• The @muslimahnewscom account uploaded various objections to religious
moderation by bringing up several articles, such as:
• Religious moderation is the fruit of liberalism and secularism, to cover up the
colonialism of capitalism. The solution is to change the regime, change the
system to a sharia system.
• Too much tolerance is the 'mainstay weapon' of religious moderation to spread
their thoughts, with the aim that their ideas are easily accepted by Muslims,
because they seem to be in accordance with Islam.
• Religious moderation calls on people to do brotherhood that is not prescribed
in Islam, namely brothers and sisters with non-Muslims.
• Moderation wants to direct the ummah to accept pluralism and carry out
tolerance which is contrary to Islam.
• Moderation of Islam is a form of deviation from the understanding of Islam and
is part of the agenda to hinder the rise of Islam.
• The account @GunRomli values the arrest of MUI officials by Densus 88 for
terrorism cases, showing that MUI has failed to spread religious
moderation within MUI.
• Anies Baswedan's @Uki23 account is attracting moderate and secular
voters in preparation for the 2024 presidential election, having previously
benefited from the politicization of religion in the DKI Pilkada.
CLOSING AND RECOMMENDATION
• The spread of ideas that tend to be conservative and sometimes
provocative through online media seems very massive and dominates the
list of the most accessed Islamic sites in Indonesia. Information from this
site is then disseminated to social media.
• Moderate sites began to occupy the top position in the list of popular
Islamic sites, but the number was not much, which was more followed by
• Seeing the massive distribution of content containing the above radical
ideas, it is impossible to deal with this understanding by means of
violence. However, by building critical thinking skills among the younger
generation and the public, as well as increasing moderate content as a
Apparemment, vous utilisez un bloqueur de publicités qui est en cours d'exécution. En ajoutant SlideShare à la liste blanche de votre bloqueur de publicités, vous soutenez notre communauté de créateurs de contenu.
Vous détestez les publicités?
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité.
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité pour nous conformer à l'évolution des réglementations mondiales en matière de confidentialité et pour vous informer de la manière dont nous utilisons vos données de façon limitée.
Vous pouvez consulter les détails ci-dessous. En cliquant sur Accepter, vous acceptez la politique de confidentialité mise à jour.