1. JAMES P. BRENNAN (CPA candidate)
20+ years of professional financial accounting experience with U.S. and international organizations. Financial
planning and modeling, financial reporting for internal and external audiences, manage accounting operations
including cash management, expense control and analysis, and establishing effective processes, procedures and
EXPERIENCE & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
JOB DESCRIPTION AND FUNCTIONS
II-VI Optical Systems – Max Levy Autograph (manufacturer of high precision, tight-tolerance patterns on optical, metal,
ceramic, and various other substrates, targeting defense and medical markets) Moorestown, NJ
Controller Mar 2016 – Present
Hands-on responsibility for all accounting operations with regard to financial reporting, planning,
transactional accuracy, and a variety of management analytical reports.
• Preparation of the standard set of financial statements, as well as a variety of job cost reports.
• Coordinating the annual budget, setting overhead and G&A rates, and investigating any material
variances on a monthly basis.
• Manage and ensure proper processing of all business transactions, which includes supplier
invoices and payments, customer billings and collections, weekly backlog reporting.
• General analysis of accounts and jobs to ensure accuracy, identify errors and management
• Work with corporate controller to cutover from plant financial software to corporate with planning, GL
mapping, defining the direct charge process for material and labor.
• Assist and oversee the hand-off of plant financial responsibilities to corporate staff.
• Communicate and coordinate with corporate.
iON America, LLC (multi-national distributer of action cameras with sales of $22 million) Moorestown, NJ
Director of Financial Reporting / Controller May 2014 – Jan 2016
Responsible for oversight of all accounting operations with regard to accuracy, timely reports, analysis,
financial modeling, and project problem solving.
• Create and manage organization-wide financial policies, procedures, goals, objectives and calendars
activities. Provide executives with advice on the financial implications of business activities.
• Implement and monitor internal controls and procedures for the maintenance of the company’s fiscal
records, and preparation of financial reports.
• Manage proper processing of all types of business transactions, which includes supplier invoices,
customer billings, payroll, cash receipts and disbursements.
• Develop and execute a standard set of monthly financial statements, as well as a variety of management
• Coordinate the creation of annual budget as well as the investigating and reporting of any subsequent
variances between the budget and actual.
• Provide financial analysis to leadership team in relation to current cost structure and ongoing capital
• Compliance with variety of tax reporting requirements, government reports, debt covenants, and
• Liaise and coordinate external audit requirements
GENISYS FINANCIAL SERVICES Philadelphia, PA
Financial Controller & Analyst services on monthly & quarterly basis. 1999 – May 2014
Provided oversight to operations and accounting staff as well as policies & procedures. Closed
the books and prepared the standard set of monthly reports including a variety of management
reports. Budget preparation/monitoring, variance analysis and tax planning and compliance.
Ensured that an efficient tax structure was in place to minimize income taxes for principals.
ADS Global, (multi-national audience development corporation) Jenkintown, PA
• Established procedures and policies for financial accounting and compliance in tax free zones.
2. • Worked with directors to create a 5 year forecast and exit strategy.
• developed cost/variance analysis system. Set standards for overhead/spending/efficiency variances
• Assisted in grooming company for equity financing & possible IPO
Résumé of James P. Brennan, Page Two
EXPERIENCE & ACCOMPLISHMENTS (continued)
Robert Half Manage Resources, (Fortune 500 company) Philadelphia, PA
• Financial project consulting on various projects and assignments for international and regional clients.
Collingswood Architectural, Inc., Collingswood, NJ
• Provided financial planning & statement preparation to cabinet manufacturer with annual sales of $7
• Previously unused manufacturing credits, accelerated deductions, & sales tax credits enabled Principals
to compete in new marketplaces, and eased cash flow restrictions.
OIC International, (multi-national non-profit) Philadelphia, PA
• Financial statement preparation & government compliance for $15 million organization.
• Coordinate and oversee external audits. Worked with auditing authority closely to ensure optimal
503 Corporation, Philadelphia, PA
• Established procedures and policies concerning all accounting functions for $13 million company.
• Obtained lines of credit to stabilize cash flow, and acquired minority certifications.
• Reduced average days of receivables outstanding from 90 to 45 in one year.
• Negotiated agreements with major suppliers, and other entities.
• Established process to manage sales tax exemption certs, & reconcile government compliance with
The Pet Food Store, Upper Darby, PA
• Oversaw purchasing and inventory control for retail chain with annual sales of $18 million.
• Increased gross profit margins by 13% through sales tax minimization & better efficiencies, on $18
million in sales.
• Established inventory levels and determined economic order quantities for 7,000 products.
• Reduced inventory levels by 15%, while increasing inventory turnover by 20%.
• Oversaw payroll for 13 store locations
Health Clubs, Funeral Homes, Construction, Attorneys, Auto Dealers, & Non-Profits Organizations
• Preparation and analysis of financial statements, payroll and tax compliance, as well as budgeting and
various financial decision models for companies that service the Philadelphia area.
BRENNAN, CUELLO & ASSOCIATES Havertown, PA, & New York, NY
Partner 1992 – 1999
Performed due diligence of acquisition candidates, developed business plans and acquired
financing for start-up and developing companies.
• Acted on behalf of companies, while closing financings with lending institutions.
• Performed due diligence of both manufacturing and service private companies involving annual
sales of up to $22 million.
• Provided audited financial statements, cash flow analysis and sales projections as well as
recommendations concerning financial condition of companies.
• Prepared all financial aspects of business plans for the following companies:
Upper Crust Pizza Sports Time
Ballack Corporation Asher’s Cigar Club
Avator Wireless Solutions Poor Henry’s Brewery & Restaurant
3. Résumé of James P. Brennan, Page Three
EXPERIENCE & ACCOMPLISHMENTS (continued)
UNITED RESEARCH LABORATORIES Bensalem, PA
Assistant Controller 1991 -
• Developed annual budget and monthly financial statements for distributor of pharmaceutical
products with annual sales of $60 million.
• Negotiated settlement minimizing issues & penalties related to PA
sales tax audit.
• Set-up sales tax compliance system for multi-state sales organization to
maintain audit trail, data integrity, and prevent/prepare for future
• Developed annual budget and monthly rolling budgets for statement analysis.
PROGRESS LIGHTING, INC. Philadelphia, PA
Plant Accountant 1989 – 1991
• Developed plant budget of $30 million.
• Designed and implemented a computerized standard cost accounting system.
• Organized and managed semi-annual physical inventories, valued at $30 million.
SPS TECHNOLOGIES, INC. Newtown, PA
Cost Accounting Supervisor/Financial Analyst 1986 – 1989
• Developed and implemented audit program for company’s pension plan.
• Implemented, as team member, new general ledger and cost accounting system.
• Analyzed financial statements and developed pro forma financial statements
CROWN CORK & SEAL CORPORATION Philadelphia, PA
Senior Cost Accountant 1984 – 1986
WYETH INTERNATIONAL, LTD. Radnor, PA
Senior Accountant 1981 - 1984
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY - Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting Philadelphia, PA