2. 1.1. Shad-Darsanas (Six Systems of Indian Philosophical Thought)
• Darshana's are schools of philosophy based on the Vedas.
• Six Darshanas or ways of seeing things, usually called the six systems or schools
• The six divisions of philosophy are the instruments of demonstrating Truth
1.2. Goal of the Shad-Darsanas
• The removal of ignorance and
• Its effects of pain and sufferings
• The attainment of freedom, perfection and eternal bliss
by the union of the individual soul or Jivatma with the Supreme Soul or
3. The six systems are:
1. The Nyaya: Sage Gautama devised the principles of Nyaya or the Indian logical system. The Nyaya is
considered as a prerequisite for all philosophical inquiry.
2. The Vaishesika: The Vaishesika is a supplement of the Nyaya. Sage Kanada composed the Vaishesika Sutras.
3. The Samkhya: Sage Kapila founded the Samkhya system.
4. The Yoga: The Yoga is a supplement to the Samkhya. Sage Patanjali systematized the Yoga school and
composed the Yoga Sutras.
5. The Mimamsa: Sage Jaimini, a disciple of the great sage Vyasa, composed the Sutras of the Mimamsa
School, which is based on the ritual sections of the Vedas.
6. The Vedanta: The Vedanta is an amplification and fulfillment of the Samkhya. Sage Badarayana composed
the Vedanta-Sutras or Brahma-Sutras which expound the teachings of the Upanishads.