4. WHY GOOGLE
Google Analytics provides us with ACTIONABLE data that
can be used to increase traffic and IMPROVE conversion
You are here, because you know that marketing has been
revolutionized in the past 5 years.
“80% of Retailers are using Google Analytics
incorrectly.” – Neil Patel
5. “If you have creative, strategic and
analytical marketing skills, you are the
most valuable person in your company.” –
Andy Lark, CMO of Xero.
SET UP GOOGLE ANALYTICS
1. Create a Google Account
2. Link up your company website
(must have admin access)
3. Add the tracking code to
Total number of unique web pages that are clicked.
Understanding how many page views is essential in order to measure the overall popularity
of a website, and the popularity of particular web pages.
Number of time your website is viewed
Includes all the pages in your website they visited.
What are Unique Visitors?
The visitor to your website is counted only once.
Traffic that was driven from a link on another site. Understanding how your users are
locating your website is a crucial element in enabling you to understand your target market.
% of traffic that landed on your page and left without navigating any other action on your
website. Google interprets high bounce-rates and irrelevant, un-useful information. You can
be penalised for having high bounce rates.
9. METRICS WE CAN MEASURE
Visitors to the website:
Where are people converting on your website?
Is your website retaining traffic? Drop off points / Bounce Rates
What channels are our site visitors coming from?
Who are new and returning visitors?
When are people leaving your site?
The Website Itself
Is your website attracting visitors?
Is your website retaining traffic?
What are the number of site visits and site views?
Conversion rates to conversion visits.
10. Monitor Your Marketing Campaigns
Which marketing initiatives are the most effective for driving traffic
to the site?
What campaigns are converting the most customers?
What keywords do people use to find your site?
Track, measure, set goals.
Monitor Content Pages
Entry Pages: What are the primary pages entering your site.
Exit Pages: What are the main bottle necks in your site
Commonly viewed pages
13. USE THE SEO REPORT TO SEE
KEYWORD RANKINGS, CLICKS
Find the Top 10 Keywords currently driving traffic
5 Optimisation Techniques you can use
1. Use Keywords as Alt Tags for images (If you have an SEO
company, they should be doing this for you)
2. Update image titles with Keywords as well
3. Ensure descriptions and page titles include keywords to help
you improve your ranking.
4. Use keywords as anchor text in your content.
5. Create more content based on traffic that is driving your
14. CHANNEL SOURCES
Spend more time replying to threads on channels that are driving you the
Spend more time looking for topics you can provide value to.
Share non-spammy content.
Top Referring Blogs:
Nurture your relationships, build guest posting relationships. 3-4 per month.
Spend 80% of your social media time on the one channel that drives the most
Which posts / tactics are driving the most traffic.
Create more content for that channel.
15. OPTIMISE FOR MOBILE
Analyse your data to see if your mobile visits have a higher
Check to see if site is responsive without messing up designs.
See which devices have the highest bounce rate.
Find out where your drop-off points are and
A/B test different hypothesis.
18. GOAL CONVERSIONS
1. Define a goal you want to track on your website.
2. Let’s set it up!
3. Select ADMIN Tab, select desired account, property and
4. In view, click Goals.
5. Click +New Goal
6. Choose Template or Custom Goal
7. Fill out details
21. 5 REASONS WHY YOU
SHOULDN’T USE ADWORDS
1. You pay for clicks
2. Hard to compete with big
3. Limited number of characters
4. Mistakes can cost you dearly
5. It won’t fit your niche
22. HOW DOES ADWORDS WORK?
Advertisers “bid” on keywords on auction basis
- Bid Amount + Ad Quality = Placing
- Ads are shown in response to the keyword search
Keyword research helps determine volume & estimated bid
Set parameters, or let Google
- Bid Amount
- Maximum Daily Spend
- Geography / Location
Create multiple ads
24. ADWORDS KEYWORD PLANNER
1. Sign into AdWords
2. Link your Analytics + Adwords Account
3. Research your top keywords in Analytics
4. Understand how much each click will cost you
5. Use tools such as SEMrush.
6. Build campaigns
28. CAMPAIGN DEVELOPMENT
1. Name Campaign eg: App Development
2. Select Campaign Type:
- Search & Display (Google Sites, Websites, Mobile Apps)
- Search Only
3. Choose your devices & location
4. Bid Strategy
CPC – Cost Per Click
CPM – Cost Per Impressions
CPA – Cost Per Acquisition
Note: Start with CPM, then CPC, then CPA.
CPA will be too expensive until you’ve found the campaign that drives
the most acquisition a the lowest cost.
CPC for “App Development” is $20.73
Visit to Customer conversion is 1.9%
1000 clicks = $20,730
1.9% Conversion Rate = VERY EXPENSIVE
30. CREATING AN AD
Headline (25 Characters)
- Highlight keywords to influence CTR
Description (35 Characters)
- Outline Benefits
- Call to Action
- Include domain name + keyword
- -eg: www.buzinga.com.au/appdevelopment
Use Adwords Help
31. RELEVANT KEYWORD + GREAT
COPY + QUALITY TRAFFIC +
HIGH CONVERTING LANDING
= GREAT ADWORDS CAMPAIGN
36. HOW MUCH IS A CUSTOMER
WORTH TO YOU?
Task: Find your top keywords in Google Analytics. Use
SEMrush to determine how much each click will cost.
Using that information, find out your Cost Per
Acquisition from one Adwords Campaign.
Mock-up 3 different versions of copy for your ad.
37. QUALITY SCORING
Measured when ads are run over time
Score includes ad + the landing page
High quality score = influences position and cost-per-click
• Optimise regularly, constantly review to increase
• Segment the keywords into correct AdWords
• TEST EVERYTHING! For CTR and conversions
• Day of the week / Time of the day
• Develop high quality landing pages. Don’t send
people to your home page.