SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Is there a future for
Kris BuytaertKris Buytaert
● I used to be a Dev,I used to be a Dev,
● Then Became an OpThen Became an Op
● CTO and Open Source Consultant @CTO and Open Source Consultant @inuits.euinuits.eu
● Everything is a freaking DNS ProblemEverything is a freaking DNS Problem
● Evangelizing devopsEvangelizing devops
● Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,
#loadays, ….#loadays, ….
Damon Edwards and John WillisDamon Edwards and John Willis
A global movement to improve the quality of softwareA global movement to improve the quality of software
delivery leveraging Open Source experience, starteddelivery leveraging Open Source experience, started
in Gent in 2009in Gent in 2009
World DominationWorld Domination
● 2010 Sydney , MountainView, Hamburg, Sao2010 Sydney , MountainView, Hamburg, Sao
● 2011 Boston, MountainView, Goteborg,2011 Boston, MountainView, Goteborg,
● 2012 Austin, Tokyo , MountainView, Rome2012 Austin, Tokyo , MountainView, Rome
● 2013 London (2x) Paris, Amsterdam2013 London (2x) Paris, Amsterdam
Future #devopsdaysFuture #devopsdays
● 175 events and counting175 events and counting
● 450+ organisers450+ organisers
● 50+ events in 201850+ events in 2018
● Other eventsOther events
with #devopswith #devops
Why we study history ?Why we study history ?
● BecauseBecause I`m a grumpy old frustrated developerI`m a grumpy old frustrated developer
● Because IBecause I`m an old opiniated guy`m an old opiniated guy
● Because history repeatsBecause history repeats
● We need to learn from our mistakesWe need to learn from our mistakes
Topic Evolution : CultureTopic Evolution : Culture
● Agile, Kanban, LeanAgile, Kanban, Lean
● Startups as examplesStartups as examples
● Success StoriesSuccess Stories
● Poster ChildsPoster Childs
● Agile, Fake Agile, Less, Safe,Agile, Fake Agile, Less, Safe,
● Enterprises as examples => NoEnterprises as examples => No
● How to include managementHow to include management
The vendors struggleThe vendors struggle
Selling “devops”Selling “devops”
● Is hardIs hard
● Is selling CultureIs selling Culture
● Is selling changeIs selling change
● Doesn't scaleDoesn't scale
● Doesn't get renewalsDoesn't get renewals
You can't buyYou can't buy
DevOps, but you mayDevOps, but you may
need to sell it.need to sell it.
Ken MugrageKen Mugrage
Why would thereWhy would there
be a future ?be a future ?
Because the IT industry isBecause the IT industry is
awesome at ruining greatawesome at ruining great
Is ITIL dead ?Is ITIL dead ?
● The last mileThe last mile
● The men who say noThe men who say no
● Guardians ofGuardians of
● Friday at 10 amFriday at 10 am
● Reducing risk upfrontReducing risk upfront
● Machines makeMachines make
● Lower downtimeLower downtime
● Learn the LanguageLearn the Language
● Automate the stepsAutomate the steps
● Speed up 1000xSpeed up 1000x
Agile is dead ?Agile is dead ?
● Jira & StandupsJira & Standups
Agile is dead ?Agile is dead ?
● People over ProcessPeople over Process
● Empowering TeamsEmpowering Teams
Is Open Source dead ?Is Open Source dead ?
● Open vs OpenOpen vs Open
● Open CoreOpen Core
● OpenStack (Money and Politics)OpenStack (Money and Politics)
● Marketing ScamsMarketing Scams
We Broke the ToolsWe Broke the Tools
● 7 tools for your devops stack7 tools for your devops stack
● Puppet vs Chef vs AnsiblePuppet vs Chef vs Ansible
● Docker , the Ultimate “Devops” ToolDocker , the Ultimate “Devops” Tool
● Implement all the tools ..Implement all the tools ..
Recruiters Killed #devopsRecruiters Killed #devops
● It's not a job title.It's not a job title.
● Is it a developer ?Is it a developer ?
● Is it an ops engineer ?Is it an ops engineer ?
● Is it a system engineer writing code ?Is it a system engineer writing code ?
● Is it a developer running operations ?Is it a developer running operations ?
● My “Pimp” tells me I`m a #devops EngineerMy “Pimp” tells me I`m a #devops Engineer
● It's not the team running toolingIt's not the team running tooling
● It's not the team in charge of deliveryIt's not the team in charge of delivery
● It's not yet another silo between devs and opsIt's not yet another silo between devs and ops
There is no such thingThere is no such thing
● Who is certified ?Who is certified ?
● By who ?By who ?
Certification killed everythingCertification killed everything
● ITIL => misses the goalITIL => misses the goal
● Scrum => makes it a procedureScrum => makes it a procedure
● Devops => the biggest scam of them allDevops => the biggest scam of them all
For the cause of education ?For the cause of education ?
Devops “insert your tool here” Certifcation ?Devops “insert your tool here” Certifcation ?
● Certification = Vendors milking usersCertification = Vendors milking users
Sales/Marketing peopleSales/Marketing people
broke devopsbroke devops
● Devops ToolsDevops Tools
● Devops Certified ToolsDevops Certified Tools
● The Ultimate Devops ToolThe Ultimate Devops Tool
● Lots of people trying to make dishonest moneyLots of people trying to make dishonest money
on a grass root movementon a grass root movement
Change Management &Change Management &
● 20 – 60 – 2020 – 60 – 20
● 20% Early adopters , find your peers20% Early adopters , find your peers
● 60% Will wait , but adopt slowly60% Will wait , but adopt slowly
#enterprise devops#enterprise devops
● ““You can only change small organisations”You can only change small organisations”
● ““You can't change a large organisation”You can't change a large organisation”
● ““You need to do things different“You need to do things different“
● There is much more to changeThere is much more to change
● It takes longerIt takes longer
● The resistance is biggerThe resistance is bigger
● ““The antibodies kick in”The antibodies kick in”
#enterprise devops#enterprise devops
● Naming things is hardNaming things is hard
– Naming things confused peopleNaming things confused people
– Vendors have ruined the termVendors have ruined the term
– Huge effort to explain realityHuge effort to explain reality
● Set your goals and name themSet your goals and name them
– Common nameCommon name
● Don’t call it Spotify Model eitherDon’t call it Spotify Model either
YOLO EngineeringYOLO Engineering
● Exit StrategyExit Strategy
● Actual BusinessActual Business
● Real CustomersReal Customers
Dev OoopsDev Ooops #container edition#container edition
● ““Put this Code Live, here's a DockerPut this Code Live, here's a Docker
Image ”Image ”
● No machines available ?No machines available ?
● What database ? Where to storeWhat database ? Where to store
the data ?the data ?
● Security ? What distro is this even ?Security ? What distro is this even ?
Bad Cows ?Bad Cows ?
● How do we monitor his ?How do we monitor his ?
● Backups ?Backups ?
● How did you build this ?How did you build this ?
Yes, there is a future ..Yes, there is a future ..
But it’s not an easy one ...But it’s not an easy one ...
A long JourneyA long Journey
● We are nowhere close to being finished..We are nowhere close to being finished..
– 2-5 year journeys are not uncommon for large2-5 year journeys are not uncommon for large
– 2-3 waves of people are not uncommon2-3 waves of people are not uncommon
– Burnout & Being fired is not uncommonBurnout & Being fired is not uncommon
The journey continuesThe journey continues
● Young organisations become oldYoung organisations become old
● New people onboardNew people onboard
● New technologies need to be embracedNew technologies need to be embraced
Our roleOur role tomorrowtomorrow todaytoday
● Teacher (for both collegues and suppliers)Teacher (for both collegues and suppliers)
● Math ExpertMath Expert
● Bridge BuilderBridge Builder
Every 18 months, automate yourselve out of yourEvery 18 months, automate yourselve out of your
Someone at Google, longtime agoSomeone at Google, longtime ago
It's not about the toolsIt's not about the tools
It's about changeIt's about change
It's about the peopleIt's about the people
Time to stand up againstTime to stand up against
● Broken CertificationBroken Certification
● Broken hiring processesBroken hiring processes
● Broken OutsourcingBroken Outsourcing
● Accepting work with no realistic budgetsAccepting work with no realistic budgets
Devops is here to stay,Devops is here to stay,
New tools and technologies will appearNew tools and technologies will appear
But collaboration will remain aBut collaboration will remain a
The future is here,The future is here,
it's still not evenly distributedit's still not evenly distributed
and may never beand may never be