• 2.5 billion lack access to adequate sanitation.
• Hand-washing with soap not widely and
• Globally, diarrhea 2nd biggest killer of children
under 5 years of age.
• In Sub-Saharan Africa, diarrhea kills more children
than malaria, measles and HIV/AIDS – combined.
5. WASH is a cross-cutting issue
Violence against women
22. Building bridges between sectors
• Linking the WASH & S4D sectors;
• Enable more S4D organizations to include
WASH trainings into their work;
• Affiliate membership streetfootballworld
23. The WASH World Cup
Harnessing the power of football to
promote sanitation and hygiene
in East Africa!
Hosted by 9 local organisations,
7 of them Sport for Development
Tournaments & trainings in 5 locations
across Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda
24. The WASH World Cup
•Develop, test & refine replicable
football-based WASH curricula
specifically for the grassroots sport sector
•Reach around 8,000 children with
behaviour change interventions
Logos from left to right: The Kids League (Uganda), Soccer without Borders (Uganda), Espérance (Rwanda), Carolina for Kibera (Nairobi), MYSA (Nairobi), Vijana Amani Pamoja – VAP (Nairobi), Society Empowerment Project – SEP (Kenya – Oyugis)