SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
I LOVE Science!
• Discovery of cures and medicines; the
structure of the human body
• Discovery of new particles of matter (quarks,
the Higgs boson) and the age of planets and
• Discovery of bacteria and viruses
• Evolution, ecology and the environment
• Faster and better technologies, the internet
The “New” Atheists
• Richard Dawkins
• Christopher Hitchens
• Daniel Dennett
• …and some others.
Famous Scientists who Believe in God
• Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton
• Father Gregor Mendel – Founder of genetics
• Father Georges LeMaitres – Originator of the Big
• Dalton, Volta, Joule, Pasteur
• Thousands of others…
• Overall, Christians have won a total of 78.3% of
all the Nobel Prizes in Peace, 72.5% in Chemistry,
65.3% in Physics, 62% in Medicine, 54%
in Economicsand 49.5% of all Literature awards.
Reasons for disbelief
• “Religion is capable of driving people to such
dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify
as a kind of mental illness.” – R.D.
• “To 'choose' dogma and faith over doubt and
experience is to throw out the ripening vintage
and to reach greedily for the Kool-Aid.” – C.H.
• “Go ahead and believe in God, if you like, but
don't imagine that you have been given any
grounds for such a belief by science.” – D.D.
Misunderstanding of God
• “Believing in God is like believing in the tooth
fairy or the flying spaghetti monster.” –
Dawkins (not direct quote)
• “God is the ground of all existence.”
• “God is the sheer act of being itself.”
• “God is the ultimate transcendent truth”
• “I am”
• “The one God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit”
Misunderstanding of faith
• “Faith is a weak cop out; faith is a mental illness;
faith is blind, but science is for intelligent, real
• “Faith is not irrational; it is superrational.” St. T.A.
• “Faith and reason are like two wings on which the
human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth;
and God has placed in the human heart a desire
to know the truth.” St. Pope JP2
• What has faith been for you? Is it time to take it
to the next level?
Misunderstanding of science
• Science asks questions about physical reality
and obtains answers by measuring and
• Science cannot answer questions about God
because God cannot be measured.
• “How tall is God?” “What is God’s shoe size?”
• Is there reality that is not physical? Are there
truths we know outside of “science”?
What can we do?
• Pray and grow in REAL faith in the REAL God!
• Never believe that insults are good arguments
• Know the difference between “scientific
evidence” and “philosophical arguments”
• Follow philosophies that are life-giving,
positive, community-building, full of purpose,
and line up with reality.
• Learn to love science and learn to love culture
and religion – All methods of finding truth
• If you understand REAL faith, understand who
the true God is, understand what religion
involves, understand the goals of science…
• THEN science and religion—faith and reason—
are not mortal enemies. In fact, they work
together to know the full truth about God and
the full truth about ourselves.
• Modern materialism strips people of the need
to feel responsible and often enough, so does
religion. But I think if you take quantum
mechanics seriously enough it puts the
responsibility squarely in your lap. And it
doesn't give answers that are clear-cut and