2. Importance of audience research?
The point of doing this audience questionnaire analysis is so that I, the
producer, can get a better insight of my target audiences when making my
product. I am able to understand better my audiences consumption and habits
with films and trailers. My questionnaire results will help inform me about
decisions further down the line. It will also highlight any problems I may have
to overcome or potential changes I might need to make.
3. I expected to see a result dominated by 17-21 year olds which is
shown here, this is because I put it onto my facebook page
dominated by my age range of friends. Perhaps to get a fairer result
I could have encouraged my parents friends and family to complete
the questionnaire however 17-21 is most likely to be my target
audience so this works well, as I can properly find out their
74.29% out of 35 people who answered my questionnaire
4. The most popular genres:
• Rom com
Romance was the most popular among females
and action adventure amongst male candidates.
This is the stereotypical result I was expecting
due to the demographic of my audience.
Although documentary was not a popular
choice this could be because I think most
people watch documentary's however not a
regular basis. Perhaps to overcome this I can
incorporate action aspects to my trailer to
attract the widest possible audience.
5. The way in which my audience consume
film is important from the perspective of
being an independent film company, as
my film would be more likely to go
straight to online release. The increasing
use of online streaming sites and
competition of Netflix portrays how
films are now mostly watched online, and
are accessible from laptops, tablets and
phones which means the more films are
being watched due to the high demand
and ease of access and small cost.
6. This is a positive result which indicates that most
people think that a trailer is the most convincing
product when distributing a film. It was important
to consider this question because as part of this
project I have to make a film poster and Magazine
However it was import to prove how vital posters
are in selling any film to an audience.
These results are varied, however the
majority selected ‘indie’. This genre
will be ideal for my genre of film.
This was an unexpected result, although nearly
50% agreed that the soundtrack to a trailer is
‘extremely important’ I predicted this to be a much
8. Would you watch a Documentary Film?
• 100% answered Yes to this yes or no question, when asked why they enjoy this genre many
commented that the storyline is often gripping and interesting whilst enabling them to learn
something new. Many also commented about how it made them feel strong emotions.
• Some said that drama in a documentary type film makes them more likely to watch it as when
an event is re enacted by famous actors or played out in a theatrical manor it is more dramatic
and exciting for a wider audience.
• Many said that if a trailer quoted ‘ Based on a true story’ or ‘ based on the novel’ they would
be more interested in the film.
9. This result Is good as my genre of film ‘sports
documentary’ will be focused on an a compelling and
interesting plot to attract my audience. The result for
‘based on a true story’ was also high which is good as I
aim to try spin this into my film trailer.
The most popular feature in this question was also story line,
this reinforces how important this will be to my target
audience when making my trailer. It is also important to see
that people selected they don’t like too much information to
be given away through the trailer. As well as this a majority
selected Drama as an important feature, as this builds
suspense I agree this is an important feature in a trailer.
10. Would you watch a sports documentary?
What would you expect it to possibly cover?
80% answered Yes to this question, stating they enjoyed the biographical film of Senna and sports drama
film Rush, some also said they enjoy sports so would therefore watch a sport documentary film. Whilst
many said this is an interesting genre, which means I have a wide target audience demographic.
Most males said they would expect to see the effects of doping or perhaps the internal struggles of
disable athletes. One candidate stated that when men or women come home from the armed forces
injured and then have a passion or drive to get into sport would possibly be an interesting topic.
Females said they would expect to see uplifting elements to the power of sport to mental health and
keeping fit and healthy.
11. Favorite film trailer
• ‘I don't have an all time favorite, but for the movies that are currently out; Legend and Suffragette. Legend for the glamour
and excitement and I love action. Sufferagette because it really plays with my emotions’
• ‘Life (2015) because its based on a true story’
• ‘Concussion - Starring will smith this trailer is effective at giving away little information and its strong plot becomes clearer
throughout. Very gripping and relevant to today's society and the modern world.’
• ‘Legend with Tom hardy - looks interesting’
These are some examples of feedback to my question what is your favorite film trailer and why, this shows a response where
many of the films they have said I have researched into for research and planning. This shows the films are popular among my
I plan to look at the film concussion as this is a biographical sports drama.
What have I learnt from collecting these results?
• My target audience will be mainly be the demographic of 17-30.
• My genre of sports documentary will be popular amongst my demographic, however will have to consider
attracting the widest possible female audience, and not make It gender bias. I can over come this by including
female athletes/ statistics.
• I will need to include scenes of action to attract the widest possible audience, and interesting real like facts.
• ‘Indie’ music soundtrack would be preferred in my trailer, as this was the most popular genre. However I
want the soundtrack to be powerful and moving.
• Not giving too much away in the trailer will need to be strongly considered, as audiences don’t like spoilers.