2. What is Internet of Things?
A network of Physical Objects that can interact with each
other to share information and take Action.
The term was first proposed by Kevin Ashton in 1999.
The concept of IoT first became popular at the Auto-ID
IoT can also be pronounced as Machine to Machine
3. Characteristics of IoT
“We are heading into a new era of
ubiquity, where the users of the
Internet will be counted in billions,
and where humans may become the
minority as generators and
receivers of traffic. Changes
brought about by the Internet will
be dwarfed by those prompted by
the networking of everyday
objects” – UN Report
4. Technology Trend
• IoT will be the most
important industrial trend in
the next 10 years.
• By 2020, IoT can become a
new round of growth,
potentially trillion dollar
• US, China and Korean
upgraded IoT to a national
strategic level industry
5. Future of IoT
• World sensor networks
• Home automation and
• Daily life (traffic
• Tracking and shipping of
6. Interest in IoT
• I'm new to it, but I’m a fan of IoT applications.
• In particular, I’m interested in Smart Cities and how IoT applications can
be used to monitor pollution.
• IoT devices could automatically send alerts to weather stations.
• But, at the most basic level, IoT applications are about being connected
and accessible. This allows our environment to be reactive and
responsive to our needs and live our lives more conveniently.
• I would like to work in IoT field because making the connected cities,
things, person would be great. For eg: an alarm clock that would tell you
when your classes are cancelled or your professor is delayed! That would
be great, saving my time and I could stay in bed