Conceptualization for tablet application for aged population, to help improve and maintain a healthy morale and mental state.
#Design #UX #User Experience #Aged Population # Old Age #Mental Health #Health
App for improving/maintaining mental condition of ageing population
Questionnaire / Surveys
Personal / Group interviews
and Empathy research
1) Similar apps
2) Health advisory sites
3) Research on existing/conventional
processes ( understand the
topic well , break down the elements
and analyse the existing solution )
4) Research on coping mechanisms
1) Get real and objective reviews
from people who have gone through
2) Analyse scope of the problem along
with other research and exploration
1) Get to know real life stories
of people and what they need
when going through such
2) People from different user groups
would give diverse insights about
1) Globally, the population is ageing rapidly. Between 2015 and 2050, the proportion of the world’s population over 60 years
will nearly double, from 12% to 22%.
2) Many older adults are at risk of developing mental disorders, neurological disorders or substance use problems as well as other
health conditions such as diabetes, hearing loss, and osteoarthritis.
3) Anxiety Reliever is an app that enables users to track anxiety symptoms and provides relaxation exercises. Calming audio sessions
will help users overcome anxiety, relax and fall asleep faster. Listening to these recordings will help them whenever they’re
feeling anxious, stressed, depressed, worried, upset, tense, or need support and encouragement.
4) Happify is a self-guided app that aims to increase positive emotions through exercises and games supported by positive psychology
and mindfulness research. An initial questionnaire is used to suggest "tracks" for an individual's use and subsequent activity content
is geared towards various aims such as reducing worry, building relationships, increasing ﬁtness, or coping with chronic pain.
Activities are backed up with a blurb about research or scientiﬁc rationale that the user is encouraged to read.
5) The mental health of older adults can be improved through promoting Active and Healthy Ageing. Mental health-speciﬁc health promotion
for older adults involves creating living conditions and environments that support wellbeing and allow people to lead healthy and integrated lifestyles.
Promoting mental health depends largely on strategies which ensure the elderly have the necessary resources to meet their basic needs, such as
providing security and freedom, programmes to prevent and deal with elder abuse,health and social programmes targeted at vulnerable groups such
as those who live alone and rural populations or who suﬀer from a chronic or relapsing mental or physical illness.
6) Mental health has an impact on physical health and vice versa. For example, older adults with physical health conditions such as heart disease
have higher rates of depression than those who are medically well. Conversely, untreated depression in an older person with heart disease can
negatively aﬀect the outcome of the physical disease.
7) Surveys have shown that :
1 in 6 older people living in urban areas in India aren’t obtaining proper nutrition;
1 in 3 do not receive proper healthcare and medicines;
1 in 2 does not receive due respect or proper conduct from family members or people in general.
AGEING AND MENTAL HEALTH
FACTORS THAT AFFECT MENTAL HEALTH
World Health Organisation gives a comprehensive deﬁnition of health as:
a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease.
It is related to the promotion of well-being, the prevention of mental disorders, and the treatment
and rehabilitation of people aﬀected by mental disorders.
The deﬁnition acknowledges mental well-being as one of the important component of healthy life.
The 5 key factors that aﬀect mental health and wellbeing of older people are:
• Participation in meaningful activities
• Physical health
• Financial status
EASTMAN KODAK CYCLE
LEADING A NORMAL LIFE
or fitness wearables
which would notify
the user about his/ her
symptoms ( my fitness
pal , itriangle health etc)
Apps which help
find nearby doctors
/ IT internet search
Visit doctor / therapist
and get the required
treatmentJoin the hospital’s
rehab training program
or go to a specialist
Take help from friends
/ family / support
groups to recover
Take cue from change in
Suggestions from friends
Try to find solutions
on the internet /
video conference / chat
with the doctor/expert
Seek help from the
internet/ youtube videos
or video chat and
Self help material/
2)USER STUDY AND PERSONA
1) Financial situation / Medical Insurance :
2) Age / gender :
3) Cultural / spiritual background :
4) Psychological / mental strength :
5) Occupational / Education
6) Disease / disorder :
7) Situational needs :
8) Personality type :
Maturity and coping mechanisms
Helps in understanding the belief system of the user
Past experiences and how they are conditioned to
respond to stimuli
User’s perspective and what sort of situations he/she is
exposed to on a daily basis helps understand the thinking pattern.
Helps in understanding which economic
segment does the user belong to and what
all they can aﬀord.
Speciﬁc disorder the person is suﬀering from.
What problems does he / she face during
the process and daignosis.
Myers- Briggs analysis to see how the person
inherently percieve and responds to situations.
USER STUDY AND PERSONA
1) User persona is the process of creating a ﬁctional character which represents a
speciﬁc user group
2) This helps in understanding the user up close and personal and understand
his/her pain points and stories better
3) THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WE ARE MAKING THE SOLUTION FOR
Friendly Kind Driven
Expectations from family, relatives, society, etc.
Providing for family
Bio / Story
1) Retired from an assistant’s job.
2) Full-time house-wife
3) Couldn’t socialize very well due to
4) Feels left-out on several occasions.
1) To maintain a healthy social
circle and keep herself busy
2) To be prcductive and come in useful.
1) Degraded health
2) Social deprivation
3) Financial crunch and inability
IT / Internet
Friendly Patient Caring
Passion for music
Education for the underprivileged
Bio / Story
1) Suffered a heart stroke due to
multiple artery blockages ( coronory
artery disease )
2) Went through an open heart
3) Would take 6-7 months to recover
along with rehab routine and proper
medication and diet
1) Get back to her normal health
2) Prevent any further complications
3) Prevent such complications in the future
4) Live life to the fullest
1) Degraded health
2) Getting over the mental trauma
faced during the operation and treatment
3) Diet and eating disabilities
4) Lost confidence to do daily chores
IT / Internet
( Eastman Kodak )
1) Parameters and criteria setting
2) Understand nature of competition
3) Identify potential direct and indirect competition
4) Set heirarchy of importance of parameters
5) Identify deciding factors ( for customers ) and set
6) Analyse scope (Find market space)
The idea of an application for “ ” would cater to a lot of human needs
stated in the ‘ Maslow’s hierarchy of needs ‘ , starting right from the physiological to esteem related.
This gives a brief idea about the legitimacy and the need for such an application.
1) Enter symptoms ( medical history , demographics etc )
2) Send requests - make friends ( ﬁlter choices by user study parameters ) , see their progress/
process ( uploaded videos , articles ) , doctors/experts who are treating them , Call / video
chat / request meet ups
3) Form healthy support groups with people who have similar pain points and background
4) Call / video chat / meet up
5) Enter details - Find employement , possible sports activities / hobbies
6) Search for and contact people with similar interests and characteristics
7) Share thoughts and experiences via posting
8) Act as a source of income for the elderly