2. 1. The word Philos is a Greek word meaning:
3. 2. The word Sofia is a Greek word for:
4. 3. Someone who engages in Philosophy.
5. 4. What is the meaning of the word
a. The study of religion and beliefs
b. The study of natural science
c. The love of wisdom
d. The study of art
Philos = love
Sophia = wisdom
6. 5. The birthplace of Philosophy in the west.
- A large Greek city
on the west coast
of Asia Minor (now
- the richest city in
the ancient Greek
8. 6. What is the method of philosophical inquiry
that emphasizes the importance of direct
observation and experience?
- Reason is the ultimate source of human knowledge
- Based upon dialogue of arguments and counter-arguments
- The study of structures of experience, or consciousness
- All concepts originate in experience
10. 7. In what way can the understanding of the embodied
spirit help individuals to live a more fulfilling life?
a. By promoting the idea of physical self-care
b. By promoting the idea of separation of the body
c. By promoting a holistic approach to self-care
d. By promoting the idea of a spiritual self-care
11. 8. A person argues that freedom is the ability to do whatever one wants,
regardless of the consequences. How would you evaluate this
a. It is a valid perspective on freedom
b. It is not a valid perspective on freedom as it disregards the
rights and freedoms of others and the consequences of one's actions
c. It is not a valid perspective on freedom as it disregards laws
and social norms
d. It is a valid perspective on freedom as long as it does not harm
12. 9. What term refers to the ability of individuals to make
choices and determine their own actions?
d. Free will
- Attribute by which a person or institution exercises ultimate authority
over every other person or institution in its domain
- Believing you can control your own destiny
- leading one’s life according to reasons, values, or desires that are
authentically one’s own
- power or capacity of humans to make decisions or perform actions
independently of any prior event or state of the universe
13. 9. The concept of “Death Anxiety” refers to?
a. Fear of physical pain caused by death
b. Fear of death or the loss of life
c. Fear of dying alone or unloved
d. All of the above
Belief that everything ceases after death;
nothing continues on in any sense.
14. 9. What term is used to describe the belief that the
soul or spirit is distinct from the body and
continues to exist after the body dies?
d. Idealism - reality is shaped by the mind, not by matter or external objects
- oneness or singleness in a concept
- existence is explainable solely in material terms, with no accounting
of spirit or consciousness
- objects can be described as having two properties
15. 10. Who said "Man is the only animal who causes
pain to others with no other object than wanting
to do so"?
a. Immanuel Kant
b. Søren Kierkegaard
c. Friedrich Nietzsche
d. Martin Heidegger
16. 11. What term refers to the social organization
of a group of people?
17. 12. What is the method of philosophical inquiry
that involves the use of reason and
argumentation to arrive at a conclusion?
18. 12. Which of the following best describes the concept of
a. The process by which individuals create their own
b. The way in which individuals understand and share each
c. The tendency for individuals to ignore each other’s
d. The objective observation of other individual’s experience