4. Purpose, meaning, and the power of connecting people.
This year’s HR Technology Conference brought top industry
leaders together to share insights on the impact of
networks, the value of employee engagement, and how
they’re uniting their workforces across the globe. Read on
for key insights from Starbucks, Dropbox, Deloitte and more.
6. Humans crave connection, and technology allows us to
connect at a rate and speed that we never imagined.
Companies that understand this human nature—
companies like Airbnb, Uber, and Amazon—dominate
in a world that thrives on networks.
8. Insight #2
EMPLOYEES WANT TO
UNDERSTAND HOW THEY’RE RELEVANT
TODAY, AND HOW THEY’LL BE
RELEVANT IN YEARS TO COME.
– Scott Pitasky, EVP & Chief Partner Resources Officer, Starbucks
9. In an evolving workforce, the expectations of workers are
changing. Even more than beneﬁts and compensation,
today’s workforce looks for: Purpose of work, Leadership
involvement and Growth opportunity
10. Insight #3
IT’S NOT ENOUGH TO JUST
MEASURE ENGAGEMENT, YOU HAVE
TO HAVE AN ACTION PLAN TO
– Alyson Daichendt, Managing Director, Deloitte Consulting
11. Traditional methods of measuring engagement, i.e.
annual employee engagement surveys, are no longer
relevant. By the time changes are executed, business
needs and employee opinions may have changed.
12. MAKE ENGAGEMENT WORK
FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION IN
1. Redeﬁne employee engagement
2. Create a sense of passion, purpose and mission
3. Check-in: Is your engagement “always on?”
13. Insight #4
4% OF COMPANIES BELIEVE THEY ARE
GOOD AT ENGAGING
MILLENNIALS AND OTHER
GENERATIONS IN THE WORKFORCE.
– Deloitte, 2016 Global Human Capital Trends Report
14. Today’s younger job candidates want projects they ﬁnd
personally meaningful, that have a positive impact on the
world. Focus your culture on what they care about most:
the people, the purpose, and the path.
15. Insight #5
CONTENT IS THE MOST
POWERFUL EMPLOYER BRANDING
WEAPON WHEN HIRING.
– Christy Childers, Global Employer Brand Manager at Dropbox
16. CONTENT CAN HELP
EDUCATE AND NURTURE
JOB CANDIDATES BY:
• Helping candidates get the information they need about your
company (without unnecessary phone calls with your HR team)
• Helping the wrong candidates self-select out of the applicant pool
• Putting you top of mind when future candidates are considering
a career change
18. Brands like Dropbox know the impact of an employee’s
voice. Marketing your company through videos, social
media messages, or a combination of both allows job
candidates to get to know the real you.
19. YOUR EMPLOYEES MAY BE YOUR BEST
Their stories and successes can help to attract more
top talent – let your employees’ voice build your brand.
20. Insight #7
TECHNOLOGY CAN ELIMINATE
JOBS, BUT IT USUALLY CREATES NEW,
DIFFERENT JOBS ELSEWHERE.
– Peter Cappelli, George W. Taylor Professor of Management,
The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
21. If we learned one thing from this year’s HR Technology
Conference, it’s that tech has the power to reintroduce
humanity back into companies. Whether you’re looking
to attract top talent, or engage your current workforce,
technology can help connect your people to an
23. O.C. TANNER AND THE O.C. TANNER INSTITUTE
O.C. Tanner, on the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® list
for the second year in a row in 2016, helps organizations create
great work environments by inspiring and appreciating great work.
Thousands of clients globally use the company’s cloud-based
technology, tools, awards, and education services to engage talent,
increase performance, drive goals, and create experiences that fuel
the human spirit. Learn more at octanner.com.
The O.C. Tanner Institute regularly commissions research and provides
a global forum for exchanging ideas about recognition, engagement,
leadership, culture, human values, and sound business principles.
24. THE JOURNEY TO
*Cultural Greatness: having a high-achieving culture fueled by a cool**
recognition program running at 100%.
**COOL: something that adds purpose, meaning, and commitment to the workplace.
GETTING EXECUTIVES ON BOARD
WITH EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION
How to Make
Friends at Work
THE MILLENNIAL EFFECT ON
7 KEY INSIGHTS
SHRM CONFERENCE 2016
MORE PRESENTATIONS BY O.C. TANNER