1. 2023 Annual meeting of the GREEN Action Task Force | 11th May 2023
Anja Waldraff, email@example.com
IKI project “ProGRess – Promoting Green Deal
Readiness in the Eastern Partnership Countries”
2. Key information
26 May, 2023
Programme type: Regional project with the Eastern Partnership countries - IKI funding
Countries of implementation: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine
Timeframe for implementation: July 2023 – January 2028
Volume: EUR 20 Mio.
Implementation by: GIZ | OECD | REC Caucasus | EBA Moldova | IEF | others tbd
Promoting Green Deal Readiness in the
Eastern Partnership Countries
3. Brief description of the project
26 May, 2023
• The project supports the countries of the Eastern Partnership in their transition to climate-oriented, resilient and
green economic development with a focus on selected EU trade-related agricultural and related industrial food
• The project promotes the introduction of innovative technologies, tools and methodologies that provide a
significant impetus for a transition to greater sustainability, climate resilience and long-term GHG mitigation in the
region, accompanied by improved enabling framework conditions.
• Better access to financing options and support for the further improvement of existing financing mechanisms
and instruments involving for example national banks, development banks and public budgets will facilitate
Focus for the project implementation:
- introduce sustainable production patterns in agriculture in value chains of fruits, berries and nuts
- and in the respective agro-industrial value chain (such as input industry (e.g. fertilizers, saplings), processing of
products (e.g. dried fruit, canned fruit, juice, jam), packaging, cooling/freezing, storage, logistics, transport).
4. Concepts of relevance for the project design
26 May, 2023
EU Green Deal: EU Farm to Fork: UNEP value chain approach :
5. Target groups
26 May, 2023
• Executive and technical staff in line ministries/policy makers, incl. female staff/policy makers, are supported in
drafting policies and frameworks for climate-oriented, resilient and green economic development in agriculture and
related industry and with view to relevant EU standards and European Green Deal requirements.
• Staff of public or private local support structures (such as farmers associations, business associations, trade
associations, local authorities, extension services, laboratories, inspectors, certification bodies, educational
institutes, etc.), incl. female staff, will receive support to improve their information and service offers for farmers,
businesses, and consumers. By participating in the implementation of business case/demonstration projects at
national level and sharing experiences at a regional level, they will gain insights into innovative solutions that they
can offer to their target groups/members for replication/upscaling.
• Semi-commercial/commercial farmers and farmers groups/cooperatives, incl. female farmers, will receive
support for climate-oriented, resilient and green agricultural practices, business and financial literacy, and in
applying for funding to implement practical measures in selected agro-value chains.
• Managers and staff of businesses along the selected value chains, incl. women-led businesses, (e.g. from
food processing, packaging, transport/logistics, waste/disposal/circularity) will receive support to identify
opportunities for reducing carbon emissions and improving resource efficiency, as well as assistance in applying for
funding and implementing practical measures.
6. Target groups
26 May, 2023
• Citizens in communities who will receive information on the benefits of sustainable agro-products and climate-
oriented, resilient and green economic development through consumer-oriented awareness campaigns
implemented by local advocacy groups and respective national agencies.
• Staff of public or private financial service providers, incl. female staff, (such as national and international
financing institutions, responsible state agencies, funds, and international donor agencies) will receive guidance on
developing and distributing green financing products that support climate-oriented, resilient and green economic
• Individuals/change agents from target groups, especially female political and business leaders, are provided
with opportunities to showcase their experiences implementing practical and innovative, gender-responsive
solutions and to thereby promote the transition towards climate-oriented, resilient and green economic development
in their country and across the EaP region.
ProGRess and foreseen EU Action
8. Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Bonn and Eschborn, Germany
Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 32 + 36
53113 Bonn, Germany
T +49 228 44 60 - 0
F +49 228 44 60 - 17 66
Dag-Hammarskjöld-Weg 1 - 5
65760 Eschborn, Germany
T +49 61 96 79 - 0
F +49 61 96 79 - 11 15