Workshop on Metrics for Climate Transition - PPT Claire Fyson
Tracking national climate action
Claire Fyson, Climate Analytics
OECD Workshop on metrics for climate
transition and net-zero GHGs in finance
We deliver cutting-edge
science, analysis and support
to accelerate climate action to
limit warming below 1.5°C.
Our work empowers
countries, communities and
peoples on the frontlines of
the climate crisis.
Rating national climate action
What can we rate?
• What have they done so far?
• Are their 2030 and long-term targets sufficient
to limit warming to 1.5°C?
• Are policies sufficient to meet these targets?
Are they sufficient to limit warming to 1.5°C?
How do we assess consistency with the Paris Agreement?
• What would be a fair contribution by each nation?
• What would be cost effective for each nation, from a global perspective?
Climate Action Tracker ratings
Modelled domestic pathways
• Global least-cost pathways downscaled
to national level using GDP and
• Give an indication of what is needed for
a country to be on track for a
• …but do not show who should pay and
how much for mitigation
• Have higher absolute emissions than fair
share for many developed countries
• Based on principles of historic
responsibility, capability, need, and
• Derived from peer-reviewed literature
and CAT’s own calculations
• Indicates a countries’ fair share
contribution to reducing emissions
• For developed countries, the fair share
may be met by a combination of
domestic emissions reductions and
providing support to others
Two reference frameworks
Longer term: net zero targets
Source: Climate Action Tracker 2023
1.5°C National Pathway Explorer
• Provides 1.5°C emissions and
energy consumption trajectories
for 60+ countries.
• Includes what needs to happen in
the power, transport, buildings,
industry and land-use sectors.
• Analysis is based on modelled
1.5°C scenarios assessed by the
IPCC, downscaled from regional
to national level.
From global to national pathways
Model region “Northern Africa”
e.g. Morocco and Egypt
Global models assessed
by the IPCC Special
Report on 1.5°C and other
lines of evidence
Pathways are filtered to
criteria defined by the
From regional to national
pathways: what is
economic feasible for