SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
• PRESENTED BY:
• P.C SHARMA
• M.E –VIIth (B)
MR. G.P SAHU
(ME, DEPARTMENT VGI(DADRI)
• NTPC, the largest power Company in India, was
setup in 1975 to accelerate power development
in the country.
• NTPC has installed capacity of 29,394 MW.
• It has 15 coal based power stations (23,395 MW)
• 7 gas based power stations (3,955 MW)
• 4 power stations in Joint Ventures (1,794 MW).
• The company has power generating facilities in
all major regions of the country.
• It plans to be a 75,000 MW company by 2017.
TOTAL = 2655 MW
Coal to Electricity ….. Basics
Heat Loss In
current in Stator
WORKING OF STEAM POWER
• Coal is burnt in a boiler ,which converts water into steam.
• The steam is expanded in a turbine used to drive alternator,which
converts mechanical energy of the turbine into electrical energy.
• The steam expanded is condensed in a condenser to be feed into the
The most important constituents of a steam power station
a. Steam generating equipment
c. Prime mover(i.e turbine)
d. Cooling towers
e. Electrical equipment
Steam generating equipment includes:
• Air Pre-heater
A boiler is closed vessel in which water is converted into steam by
utilising the heat of coal combustion.
Steam boilers are broadly classified into following two types:
(a) Water tube boilers (b) Fire tube boilers
In a water tube boiler, water flows through the tubes and the hot gases
of combustion flow over these tubes. Water-tube boilers are used for
• A device which removes last traces of
• It helps in reduction in requirement of
• steam being dry reduces the mechanical
resistance of turbine.
• No corrosion at the turbine blades.
Economiser and Air Pre-heater
• They are such devices which recover the
heat from the flue gases on their way to
chimney and raise the temperature of feed
• Economiser raises boiler efficiency.
• Air Pre-heaters recover the heat from the
flue gases leaving the economiser and
heat the incoming air required for
• Which condenses the steam at the exhaust of
• It creates a very low pressure at the exhaust of
turbine, this helps in converting heat energy of
steam into mechanical energy in the prime
• The condensed steam can be used as feed
water to the boiler.
Prime Mover (i.e. Turbine)
A steam turbine is a mechanical device that extracts thermal energy
from pressurized steam, and converts it into mechanical energy.
About 86% of all electric generation in the world is by use of steam
It has almost completely replaced the reciprocating piston steam
• Remove heat from the
water discharged from
the condenser so that the
water can be discharged
to the river or re
circulated and reused.
• Air can be circulated in
the cooling towers
through natural draft and
Coal Handling Plant Details
• Source of coal = Piparwar Mines North Karanpur (Jharkhand)
• Location = Near Ranchi
• Distance = 1200 Kms.
• Type of coal = F-grade (Washed)
• E grade (Raw)
• Coal requirement = 13,000 MT/Day
• ( 04 rakes )
Ash Handling Technique
• A natural result from the burning of fossil fuels,
particularly coal, is the emission of flyash. Ash is mineral
matter present in the fuel. For a pulverized coal unit, 60-
80% of ash leaves with the flue gas.
• Two emission control devices for flyash are the fabric
filters and electrostatic precipitators.
• Electrostatic precipitators have collection efficiency of
99%, but do not work well for flyash with a high electrical
resistivity (as commonly results from combustion of low-sulfur
coal). In addition, the designer must avoid
allowing unburned gas to enter the electrostatic
precipitator since the gas could be ignited.
Top View of ESP Schematic Diagram
Side view of ESP Schematic Diagram
• The fluegas laden with flyash is sent through pipes having negatively
charged plates which give the particles a negative charge. The particles
are then routed past positively charged plates, or grounded plates, which
attract the now negatively-charged ash particles.
• The particles stick to the positive plates until they are collected. The air
that leaves the plates is then clean from harmful pollutants.
Coal Ash can be used in:
• Construction of embankments and fills
• Construction of road in sub-base
• Manufacture of cement
• Manufacture of bricks/blocks
• Filling as flowable fill material
• Agriculture as soil amendment/source of
essential plant nutrients
INPUTS FOR GAS STATION
• Fuel –Natural gas (Primary) HSD (Alternate fuel)
• Source of gas- APM, PMT:ONGC/RIL/BRITISH GAS
RLNG :GAIL, IOCL, GSPCL.
KG-D6 : RIL
TRANSPORTATION:From GAIL through HBJ Pipeline.
. Source of HSD : IOCL, HPCL, BPCL through Rly. rakes.
COMBINED CYCLE OPERATION
LP STEAM (5 KSC, 210°C)
Gas Turbine Unit-1
Gas Turbine Unit-2
Steam Turbine Unit-1
HP STEAM (61 BAR, 530°C)