1. Describe basics of management skills
2. Understand Maintenance and TQM
3. Explain energy management
4. Describe energy conservation in electrical
5. Understand energy audit
6. Illustrate safety measures and use of computer in
BASIC MANAGEMENT SKILLS
(ಮೂಲಭೂತ ನಿರ್ವಹಣೆ ಕೌಶಲಯಗಳು )
CO-01-Describe basics of management skills
Types of skills
1. Interpersonal skills
2. Team working
3. Negotiation skills
4. Communication skills
5. Time management
6. Stress management
• Interpersonal skills are the skills we use every day
when we communicate and interact with other
people, both individually and in groups.
• People with strong interpersonal skills are often
more successful in both their professional and
• Interpersonal skills include a wide variety of skills,
though many are centred around communication,
such as listening, questioning and understanding
body language. They also include the skills and
attributes associated with emotional intelligence,
or being able to understand and manage your own
and others’ emotions.
2.Team working skills
• The process of working collaboratively with a
group of people in order to achieve a goal.
Teamwork is often a crucial part of a any Job or
business, as it is often necessary for colleagues to
work well together, trying their best in any
• Teamwork means that people will try to cooperate,
using their individual skills and providing
constructive feedback, despite any personal
conflict between individuals.
• 3. Negotiation (ವಿಚಾರವಿನಿಮಯ) skills
• Negotiation is a method by which people settle
differences. It is a process by which compromise
or agreement is reached while avoiding argument
• In any disagreement, individuals understandably
aim to achieve the best possible outcome for their
position (or perhaps an organisation they
represent). However, the principles of fairness,
seeking mutual benefit and maintaining a
relationship are the keys to a successful outcome.
• Communication skills are the abilities you use
when giving and receiving different kinds of
• Communication skills involve listening,
speaking, observing and understanding. It is
also helpful to understand the differences in
how to communicate through face-to-face
interactions, phone conversations and digital
communications like email and social media.
• 5.Time management skills
• “Time management” is the process of
organizing and planning how to divide your
time between specific activities. Good time
management enables you to work smarter –
not harder – so that you get more done in less
time, even when time is tight and pressures
• Failing to manage your time damages your
effectiveness and causes stress.
6.Stress management skills
• Stress is basically the tension or anxiety caused
by any sort of pressure in everyday life. The
ability to handle or minimize the physical and
emotional effects of such anxiety is known as
one’s stress management skills.
Importance of knowing yourself
Understanding and knowing our self in very important in our life,
this will help us develop good relations with everyone.
1.Its helps to control emotions.
2.Helps to reach your goals.
3.Helps to reach better decisions.
4.Helps to improve relationships.
5.Helps to realize and improve your full potential.
6.Helps to experience happiness and joy.
7.It helps to lead our life in better way.
8.It helps to improve our personality.
9.Its helps to change our attitudes and improve our values.
Process of knowing yourself
1. Maintain personal diary
2. Practice meditation.
3. Exercise regularly.
4. Go for walk regularly.
5. Do some riding and driving .
6. Do some outings.
7. Develop some hobbies.
8. Develop new interests.
Definition of SWOT Analysis
The SWOT means -
Strength , Weakness, Opportunities & Threats.
A SWOT analysis is a framework for
Analyzing your Strengths and Weakness and
the Opportunities and Threats you face. This
helps you Strengths, minimize weaknesses and
take the greatest possible advantage of
Benefits of SWOT analysis
1. It is scalable
2. It is simple to the participants. They can grasp the
concepts and process easily.
3. It can be practiced at individual and corporate level.
4. Less expensive- SWOT analysis can be done internally
provided the internal facilitator has the experience to
5. Inclusive – It allows the participation of team and
results are more likely to represents the real
Enumerate usage of SWOT analysis
1. Set objectives
2. Environmental scanning
3. Analysis of existing strategies.
4. Strategic issues defined
5. Develop new/revised strategies.
6. Establish critical success factors.
7. Preparation of operational ,resource, Project plans
for strategy implementation.
8. Monitoring results.
Definition of Perception (ಗ್ರಹಿಕೆ)
The process by which individuals select,
organize, and interpret the input from their
senses to give meaning and order to the world
around them. Components of perception include
the perceiver, target of perception, and the
How to improve Perception
1. Knowing Oneself Accurately,
2. Empathize (ಅನುಕರಿಸು) with Others,
3. Having a Positive Attitude(ರ್ತವನೆ),
4. Positive Impression Formation,
5. Communicating Openly,
6. Comparing One’s Perception with that of
7. Improving Diversity Management Programmes.
Definition of communication (ಸಂವಹನ or ಸ೦ಪರ್ಕ )
It is defined as the “Process of transfer of
information from sender to receiver, with the
information being understand by the receiver”.
“Communication is an exchange of facts, ideas,
opinions or emotion by two more persons ”
Special features of communication.
1. Communication is a two way traffic.
2. Communication is unavoidable.
3. Communication is a social process.
4. Communication is a continuous process.
5. Communication is universal.
The communication process is the guide
towards realizing effective communication.
The communication process helps in
sharing of common meaning between sender
and receiver and individuals that follow the
communication process will have the
opportunity to become more productive in
every aspect of their profession.
• Sender : The communication process beings with
the sender, who is wishing to sends a message to
• Message : A message may be an idea or thought ,
the sender wants to convey to the receiver.
• Encoding : Encoding is putting a message into
words or images, that can be understood by both
sender and receiver.
• Transmission channel: The channel is the
medium through which the message can be
transmitted from one person to another.
• Receiver : The receiver is a person or group to
whom message is to be transmitted.
• Decoding : Decoding is the process by which the
receiver interprets the message and translates it into
• Feedback : Feed back is the reaction, without it,
the sender of the message cannot know whether the
recipient has received the entire message.
• Noise: Noise may disturbance that obscures,
reduces or confuses the clarity or quality of the
message being transmitted.
Channels of communication.
The communication channels are the
means of transmitting the message from
sender to receiver. Some suggested channels
of communication are listed below. If you
present your message with class and dignity,
you will get the desired response.
The some important communication channels are :
1. Use of mobile.
2. Use of telephone.
3. Use of television.
4. Use of news letter.
5. Use of personal letter.
6. Use of post cards.
7. Use of formal printed invitation.
8. Use of mail news or magazine articles
9. Use of questionnaires.
10. Use of newspaper column.
11. Use of face to face contact by salesman or mediator etc.
Formal and informal communication network
• Formal Communication Network :
This network is designed by the management
to dictate(ನಿರೆದವಶಿಸು) who should talk to whom
to get job done. It is created to regulate the
flows of communication as to avoid any
confusion and make it more orderly, timely and
Informal Communication Network
• It is not intentionally formed network by the
management. It arises to meet the needs
,spontaneously that are not satisfied by formal
• In fact this is the network formed by the workers
without the knowledge of the management or in
canteen, play ground, cinema hall, evening
meetings, morning jogging place where the workers
meet informally and build the informal relationship
by communicating with each other without
considering their branch, post, position, etc. It is
also called as grapevine communication.
• People communicate through symbols, signs,
behavior, signals, speech, words. listening,
silence, eye contact, head movement,
postures, mannerism etc.
Barriers to communication
1. Physical barriers : Separate working areas for people of different status.
2. Perceptual barriers : It depends on how our thoughts, assumptions and
perceptions shape our own realities about a person, people, thing, job
3. Emotional barriers : The communication should be free and open it
should not be influenced by emotions like fear, mistrust and suspicion.
4. Cultural barriers : The people have to work with different culture having a
different behaviour to remain in it, sooner or later you need to adopt
the behavioural patterns of the group.
5. Language barriers : To improve our personality, we need to learn the
different languages, so as to work with different people in the universal
6. Gender barriers : We have to work in a common platform and both men
and women are treating equal in the present market scenario.
7. Interpersonal barriers : These are due to less contact with people, rituals
(ಆಚರಣೆಗಳು ), working activities, honesty, etc. leads to maintain the
distance themselves from others.
overcome barriers to communication
A sender can overcome barriers by using the following methods:
1. Using appropriate Language: The sender should use appropriate
language, simple words so that receiver can understand correctly.
2. Understanding the receiver: The sender should study how the
message will be interpreted by the receiver before communicating.
3. Developing confidence in the receiver: A receiver receives the
message effectively if he has confidence in the sender. By mastering
the subject of communication, sender creates confidence in the
4. Encouraging feedback: Feedback helps the sender to know
whether the receiver has understood the message or not.
5. Using face to face communication: Written communication is not
as effective as face to face communication.
6. Using repetition when necessary: Complicated messages can be
repeated so that the receiver understands it. However. unnecessary
repetition can confuse the receiver.
7. Using pictures: The sender can use pictures or charts to make his
A receiver can overcome barriers by using the following methods
1. Effective listening: Active listening in one way to
overcome barriers. It needs hard work and effort to
increase concentration on what the sender is
2. Avoid judgment: The receiver should not make any
judgment about the sender. The judgment distorts the
3. Providing feedbacks: The receiver should provide a
true feedback about what he feels.
1. Know yourself : A good communicator knows
what he/she is talking about or writing about.
2. Be focused : should be clear , crisp and to the
3. Brevity is the soul of wit (ಸಂಕ್ಷಿಪ್ತತೆಯು ಬುದ್ಧಿಶಕ್ತತಯ
ಆತಮ): Say what you want to say in short, straight
and simple sentence.
4. Know your audience : Know the audience to
whom you are talking accordingly you want to
change style and adopt the content.
5. Infuse (ಮಿಶರಮಾಡಿ) your words with an earthiness
(ಮೃದುತವ) that will appeal to a wider audience.
6. A good communicator never forgets the
need to create right ambience.
7. Be sincere in your utterances (ಉಚ್ಾಾರಗಳು )
8. Be positive, believe in yourself.
9. Bring alive and exploit the magic in words.
10.Bridge the gap between yourself and your
11. Keep in mind the seven C'S.
I. Candid (ಸದರಾ)
IV. Courteous (ವಿನಯಶಿದಲ)
Candid - be straight forward, free and frank.
Clear - have clarity both in words and thought
Complete - Avoid misunderstanding and misinterpretation.
Courteous - Manners make a man, be in right frame of mind.
Concise and Concrete - Keep it short and sweet.
Correct - Should be accurate in all respect.
“A team is a small group of people with
complementary skills and abilities who are
committed to a common goal and approach for
which they hold each other accountable”.
• Team building is one of the crucial areas in which the
employees are to be trained.
• Effective teams are necessary for the continual
growth, development and management of an
• The success of an organization depends on the kinds
of team it has. Projects require people to work
together, so teamwork has become an important
concept in organizations.
• Effective reams are an intermediary towards getting
good, sustainable results.
• Industry has seen increasing efforts through training
and cross-training to help people to work together
more effectively and to accomplish common goals.
Aspects of team building
I. Team identity.
II. Team structure.
i. Team identity : It is important that, everybody wants to be a part of the
team. People identify themselves with the social teams. Therefore -
• Organize the trips, training weekends, etc.
• A unique name for your team.
• A special kit, logo, etc.
• Remember your players and the history of the team.
• Install some pride in what.
ii. Team Structure : Within each team you can define clear roles. A leader must
be selected in order of interact with others, such as managers, supervisors,
etc. first is role clarity, every player knows what to do in every situation,
second is the acceptance of the role. Each player should feel comfortable in
the position he is playing. Last is the performance of the player in the role.
iii. Team Goals : Help the team to set themselves clear and realistic
goals. Makes the players understand that they need to adhere to team
standards, each individual player shares responsibility for the success of the
team. give the individual players and the team as a whole feedback on
their progress. Accept no rivalry, encourage co-operation
iv. Team Motivation : when you can meet an
individual needs of player , those players will
be motivated to achieve. Ask for sacrifice for
the team, Loyalty towards each other. Install a
sense of responsibility in the players.
Skill needed for team
1. Listening : It is important to listen to other people's ideas
and they will give an other idea to emerge.
2. Questioning : It is important to ask questions, interact and
discuss the objectives of the team.
3. Persuading (ಮನವೊಲಿಸುವುದು): It is important to exchange,
defend, rethink and if needed, change the ideas.
4. Respecting :It is essential to treat others ideas and views
with respect and accept when they prove worth.
5. Helping : It is core principle in team work.
6. Sharing : Sharing creates a conducive environment for the
team to work.
7. Participating : It makes the work easier and simple.
8. Communication : To work effectively in a team you have to
acquire good communication skills.
Model of team building.
1. Establish the credibility : First establish the knowledge
and believability of team members.
2. Allow ventilation : The members must have their
anxieties and unresolved issues, should be cleared
3. Provide an orientation : Giving verbal specific directions
and provide clear expectations and models of
4. Invest in the process : Set the team to identify its
problems and concerns as early as possible.
5. Set group goals : Create the environment to set the
mission statement, then set the goals, specific activities
and behaviours to accomplish these goals.
6. Facilitate the group process : Members are taught
about how groups function with different techniques.
7. Establish intergroup procedures : This involves
setting up a meeting format, which includes
reporting minutes, making announcements,
discussing problems and issues, proposing
solutions, taking actions and giving new works.
8. Establishing intergroup processes : Even though
the team is of self managed, the leaders must be
selected in the order of interact will others, such
as managers, supervisors etc.
9. Change the role of members : Often the roles of
members arc changed to get more experience of
different positions during team work.
10.Final position : At this position, the team is on
its own and is self-managing.
characteristics of effective team
2. Listen to others
3. Recognize and reward
4. Leadership is rotated
5. Decision by consensus(ಒಮಮತ)
6. Encourage and appreciate
7. Committed to goals
8. Spontaneous communication
9. Open minded
Role of team members
• Care about each other - to have effective team
• Open and truthful - to step forward and to get
• Maintain the high levels of trust.
• Consensus decisions.
• Committed to have excellence for getting results
• Maintaining the low level of conflict.
• Real listening - to have effective communication.
• Express feelings - to keep emotions and feelings
out of the workplace.
Also it is important for the team members to
ensure following :
• Be clear about the objectives of the team.
• Identify individual skills.
• Reflect the work methods.
• Set targets for improvement.
• Develop close relationship.
• Have an open relationship.
MODEL QUESTIONS BANK
• Cognitive Level: Remember
1. List the Benefits of SWOT analysis
2. Enumerate usage of SWOT analysis
3. Define perception
4. Define SWOT Analysis
5. Define communication
6. List Special features of communication
7. List the Channels of communication
8. List the various Barriers to communication
9. List the Types of effective communication
10. List the aspects of team building
11. List the skill needed for team
12. List the characteristics of effective team
13. List the role of team members
Cognitive Level: Understanding
1. Describe interpersonal skills
2. Describe Team working
3. Describe Negotiation skills
4. Describe Communication skills
5. Describe Time management
6. Describe Stress management
7. Describe Importance of Knowing yourself
8. Explain the process of knowing yourself
9. Explain how to improve perception
10. Explain Formal and informal communication network
11. Explain the various Barriers to communication
12. Explain how to overcome barriers to communication
13. Explain Types of effective communication
14. Describe team building
15. Explain aspects of team building
16. Explain skill needed for team
17. Describe a model of team building
18. Explain role of team members
Apparemment, vous utilisez un bloqueur de publicités qui est en cours d'exécution. En ajoutant SlideShare à la liste blanche de votre bloqueur de publicités, vous soutenez notre communauté de créateurs de contenu.
Vous détestez les publicités?
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité.
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité pour nous conformer à l'évolution des réglementations mondiales en matière de confidentialité et pour vous informer de la manière dont nous utilisons vos données de façon limitée.
Vous pouvez consulter les détails ci-dessous. En cliquant sur Accepter, vous acceptez la politique de confidentialité mise à jour.