"Forging Great Modules: Standards, Tools and Patterns" by Ryan Coleman, Product Owner, Puppet Labs.
Presentation Overview: Your entire datacenter doesn't need to be lovingly hand-crafted Puppet manifests. Focus your time and energy on the specific, business enabling challenges. Puppet Labs runs the Puppet Forge, a community-driven collection of modules that let you do anything from build an entire OpenStack PaaS to provide you with an awesome new resource type. Come learn what the Forge is all about, where it's headed and how to build the next great module that will live amongst the 1300+ contributed by your peers.
Ryan will cover the following and a little more.
- What the Puppet Forge is and what you'll find there.
- Module Design Patterns (e.g., parameter naming & puppet-lint)
- Module Testing Frameworks and Practical Examples (e.g., rspec-puppet)
- Iterative Development Tools and Practices
- Forge Publishing Workflows (e.g., versioning & github)
Speaker Bio: Ryan is a product owner at Puppet Labs, responsible for the Puppet Forge. He used Puppet at Penn State to keep up with demands in Penn State's central infrastructure teams before joining Puppet Labs as a professional services engineer. He has tackled building services like Shibboleth, MIT Kerberos, Samba and Zimbra across distributed environments on top of IBM's GPFS file system and would love to chat with you about solving problems with Puppet.