• What about…… (going to the cinema tonight?)
• I suggest you……. (to stop playing football)
• How about……….. (playing cards? )
• Why don't…….. (we do our homework? )
• Couldn't we…….. (invite your grandmother to our party?)
• Shall we…….. (have a walk along the river?)
• What would….. (you say to a cup of coffee?)
• Don't you……. (think it is a good idea to watch TV?)
• No, let's not.
• No, I'd rather not.
• I don't feel like it.
• I dislike going for a walk.
• What an awful / bad idea!
• Ok. Yes, let's.
• Yes, I'd like to.
• Yes, I'd love to.
• What a good idea!
• Why not?
• Yes, with pleasure.
• Yes, I feel like taking a walk.
• That sounds like a good idea.
Two friends talking about where to go this evening:
Alice: You know Alan, why don't we go to the cinema to watch Titanic?
Alan: No, let's not. We've seen the film many times before. What about going
to the library? We have to finish our school project!
Alice: That sounds like a good idea. But when we finish let's go to the cafe.
Alan: Yes, I'd love to.
GIVE YOUR SUGGESTION
1. How about learning until last night?
2. What would you say for students smoke?
3. Why don’t you sharing knowledge?
4. My examination result is bad
5. I hate economic lesson
Asking for Opinions
What do you think?
What's your opinion?
What are your ideas?
Do you have any thoughts on that?
How do you feel about that?
I think…… we should get a new car.
I don't think…. we need one.
I believe (that)….. smoking should be outlawed.
I don't believe (that)…. it should be illegal.
In my opinion, …..Gone with the Breeze is the best movie ever made.
I feel that….. it's the right thing to do.
I don't feel that…. it's such a good idea.
What did you think of .. I thought it was boring.
Do you concur with… Yes, but with minor reservations
What is your opinion of I don’t think it will help the economy too
Do you agree with…. I can’t say that I do, I think it will be
A- Agree, D- Disagree
A: You said it.
D: I couldn’t disagree more.
A: I think you’re right.
D: I don’t think that’s the answer at all.
A: I believe so too.
D: In my opinion,
A: I'll go along with that.
D: Well, we don’t see eye to eye on that.
A: I'm with you.
D: I beg to differ.
A: It work’s for me.
D: I don’t really think (... that red is your color).
A: I'll buy that.
D: I disagree, (... STARS WARS was much better).
Alice: What did you think of the movie, Peter?
Peter: I thought it was boring.
Alice: Really? I loved it. Why did you think it was boring?
Peter: It was too predictable. You knew what would happen in the end. The same
old thing- boy meets girl, boy fights with girl, boy marries girl.
Peter: Did you like the sound track of the movie?
Alice: No, I hated it. It was too loud and too hard rock for me. What did you think
Peter: I thought it was great, but then, I like hard rock.
WISH AND HOPE
1. Wish + Clause (Mengharapkan/ ingin)
I wish I could help you. (Artinya: Saya berharap saya dapat membantumu)
I wish I know your address. (Artinya: Saya ingin tahu alamatmu)
2. Hope + that clause (Mengharap)
I hope that you have done the test.
(Artinya: Saya harap kamu sudah mengerjakan tes tersebut)
I hope that we shall get much money.
(Artinya: Saya harap kita dapat memperoleh banyak uang)
The difference between "wish" and "hope"
• Wish is most commonly used in hypothetical (or imagined/unreal) situations:
I wish (that) you were here. (Unfortunately, you're not, and I miss you.)
• Sometimes wish is used in greeting and expressions of goodwill:
We wish you a "Merry Christmas."
• Hope can also be used in expressions of goodwill
• Hope can also be used in expressions of goodwill, but the grammar is slightly
I hope (that) you have a Merry Christmas. (some time in the future)
I hope (that) you had a nice Birthday. (some time in the past)
Hope can be used to specify a desired outcome. For future hopes, the
possibilities remain open, but for past hopes, the outcome has usually been
I hope you can come to the party on Saturday.(future possibility)
I was hoping that you would come to the party.(but you didn't)
I had hoped to see you at the party on Saturday. (but I didn't)
• Gina: Hi, Jean. How are you doing?
• Jean: Bad.
• Gina: What's wrong?
• Jean: My father got sick. He has to stay in the hospital for a few days to get
• Gina: What happened to him?
• Jean: He got cancer.
• Gina: I'm sorry to hear that. But you still go to school?
• Jean: Yea, my mom told me that I have to go to school. She is in the hospital to
accompany my dad.
• Gina: I hope your dad will get better soon.
• Jean: Yea, I hope so.
Complete the sentences using wish or hope expression?
1. ……….you had enough money to buy it
2. ……….your car will be right
3. ……….my book didn’t broken
4. ………..you will come to my party
5. ………..next time will be better
Give your comment use wish or hope expression
1. Your friends was ill since two days ago
2. She isn’t come to your brother wedding party
3. They will leave you, because he is follow his parents
4. Your basketball team play next Saturday
5. Andi get a sack from his office
Hal-hal yang perlu di perhatikan dalam membuat undangan
ulang tahun :
Hal-hal yang sebaiknya termuat dalam undangan ulang tahun :
1. Who sends the invitation? (Siapa yang mengirim surat?)
2. Who is invited to the birthday party? (Siapa yang diundang ke pesta ulang
3. When will be the birthday party? (Kapan acara pesta ulang tahun berlangsung?
4. Where will be the birthday party? (Dimana acara pesta ulang tahun
Hello my best friend, I will have a party for celebrating my birthday. It will
begin on Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 8 PM. It will be held in my
house, Sudirman Street No.037 Ciganjur South Jakarta. I do hope that you
can come to gather with the other friends praying for my birthday. See you !
If you have any questions, call me at 081234578910
Your Beautiful Friend
Dina, adalah nama orang yang diundang
On Saturday adalah waktu acara diadakan
In my house adalah tempat acara diadakan
Anysa Nuria, adalah nama orang yang mengundang.
MAKE YOUR BIRTHDAY PARTY LETTER. ATTACHED THE BIRTHDAY
EXAMPLE : Final examination. Asking situation/condition
Jl. Sultan Hasanuddin
Masamba, Luwu Utara
Juli 23, 2014
Dear Uncle and Aunt
It's hard to believe that you move yesterday. I hope you live well there. But
actually I am lonely here. If you were here, I would never fell lonesome.
Tomorrow is my final examination day. My future lies in the result of the test.
People says that the final examination day is a scary day. Yes indeed, I feel so
nervous facing that day. But my parents always give me some advice to calm
down my own feeling. They said to me "You definitely can pass that exam". It
sometime affects me.
I have prepared all things to facing the final examination day by studying hard
past 6 months. I studied a lot of subjects such as mathematics, English,
Indonesian, geography, sociology, and economics. My learning portion also
added to able to master those all subjects. And I believe I can pass the final
My dearest uncle and aunt, after I finished the final examination, there is
holiday that given by school. I have plan visiting your home in Masamba. There
I will take a vacation. Would you like to receive me there.
December 12, 2013
To My Beloved Caitlyn,
You are always on my mind, I can't stop thinking about you. The first thoughts
when I wake, and the last thoughts before I go to sleep are of you. I am such a
lucky guy to have found such a wonderful woman. I miss you so much, it has
been too long since the last time I saw you.
Your smile is so beautiful and magical. Every time that I think of your smile it
lights me up inside. Even when I am having a really bad day, seeing you smile
makes me want to smile too and it makes me forget about the previous events
of the day.
Caitlyn, you must be the most caring person on earth. You seem to have an
unlimited amount of patience and kindness. Every time I make a mistake you
are right there to support me. The time that you drove 300 miles just to take
care of my sick mother when I was away is just one example of your big heart.
I have had such a great time with you no matter what we are doing. As long as
you are around, even doing the most mundane activity is fun. I hope that we'll
see each other every day when I come back, I want to spend as much time with
you as possible. I miss you so much.
Friendly Apology Letter
68 Pine Zaggat Lane
Hampervile, NE 25385
January 5, 2005
I am sorry about forgetting about our lunch date. It was completely my fault; I
was so busy at work that it must have slipped my mind. How about I treat you
to lunch next Wednesday at the new Italian restaurant Julie's at 12:30PM? I
have marked this date in my planner so I will not forget about it. I'd just like to
apologize again for missing the lunch date.
Write the apologize letter to your brother because you’re can’t attending
her/his wedding party.
GIVING AND ASKING INSTRUCTION
Ada tiga definisi "umum" mengenai procedure text :
1. Texts that explain how something works or how to use instruction / operation
manuals e.g. how to use the video, the computer, the tape recorder, the
photocopier, the fax.
2. Texts that instruct how to do a particular activity e.g. recipes, rules for games,
science experiments, road safety rules.
3. Texts that deal with human behavior Example : how to live happily, how to
• Teks yang menjelaskan bagaimana sesuatu bekerja atau teks yang
menjelaskan cara menggunakan pedoman instruksi / penggunaan. contoh :
cara menggunakan video, komputer, mesin fotokopi, fax dll.
• Teks yang menunjukan cara melakukan aktifitas tertentu. contoh : resep,
aturan bermain game, eksperimen ilmiah, aturan keamanan berkendara.
• Teks yang berhubungan dengan tingkah laku manusia. contoh : cara hidup
bahagian, cara sukses. dll..
GENERIC STRUCTURE OF PROCEDURE TEXT
(1) Goal (Maksud atau tujuan)
(2) Material Needed (Materi / alat / bahan yang dibutuhkan)
(3) Methods or Steps (Metode / langkah-langkah)
1. Use the imperative form
We use the imperative form to give orders, warnings and advice:
Listen to me carefully!
2. Use a modal verb to turn the order into a request
Could: Could you make me some tea?
Can: Can you come here please?
Will: Will you shut the door please?
Would: Would you wait here until the doctor is ready for you?
3. Use an introductory phrase to soften the order
Was hoping you could … (+ infinitive without to)
I was hoping you could spare me a few minutes this morning.
Do you think you could … (+ infinitive without to)
Do you think you could do this photocopying for me?
If you have a couple of minutes spare, the office needs tidying up.
4. Use sequencing words
You can use sequencing words to make instructions clear.
Firstly, make sure the appliance is disconnected.
Secondly, open the back with a screwdriver.
Then, carefully pull out the two black cables….
Asking for Instructions
How do you (do this)?
How do I . . . ?
What is the best way to . . . ?
Where is the……………..?
What is the first step?
How do you operate (...this can opener)?
Can you show me how to (...use this copier)?
Do you know how to (... use this rice cooker)?
How do I go about (... baking a cake)?
First, (you) . . .
Then, (you) . . .
Next, (you) . . .
Lastly, (you) . . .
Before you begin, (you should . . .)
The first thing you do is . . . .
I would start by . . .
The best place to begin is . . .
To begin with
The next step is to . . .
The next thing you do is . . .
Once you've done that, then . . .
When you finish that, then . . .
The last step is . . .
The last thing you do is . . .
In the end,
When you've finished,
When you've completed all the steps,
Example : How to Make a Cup of Coffee?
1. First you need to buy some coffee and a coffee maker.
2. Then you have to put the water into the bottom of the coffee maker.
You needn't boil the water, cold water is fine.
3. Next you have to put the coffee in the coffee compartment and screw the
top of coffee maker on.
4. After that you need to put the coffee pot onto the stove.
5. Then turn the stove on hight and wait. You don't have to move the coffee
When the water boils and goes into the upper part of the pot you
6. then have to remove the pot from the heat.
7. Finally you pour some coffee into a cup, add sugar and milk and enjoy.
CONTOH PROCEDURE TEXT - HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE
Sitting on the bike, make sure you know where the brakes are and how to
You have to learn to balance the bike. Find a person who can hold your bike
behind you and try to steady it as you pedal. Also find a place to ride that is
grassy or such.
After practicing for a couple minutes, the person can release his or her hands
while you try to keep your balance.
When you are ready, ride alone. But first lower the seat until you can sit on it
and put both feet flat on the ground.
When you are confident you can put your feet on the pedals and coast for a few
feet, try not putting your feet down to train your sense of balance. Do this for
30-45 minutes or so, until you have a good feel and some confidence about
steering the bike.
As you gain experience, raise the seat up so that only your toes can touch the
ground while you are seated. This is the more appropriate height for your seat.
Finally, you have to practice.
Once you can balance, pedal, start, and stop, you're a bicycle rider.
How do you operate the computer?
What is the best way to go to your school from your home?