SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Wireless Sensor Network
And Its Application
• Sensor Node Components
• Wireless Sensor Network
• A general work process of WSN
• Sensor Networks Operating Systems
• Wireless Sensor Networks Applications
sensor and Sensor Node
• A sensor is a electronic device that measures a
physical quantity and converts it into a signal which
can be read by an observer or by an instrument.
• Sensor Node : Basic unit in Sensor Network
Wireless sensor Network (WSN)
A wireless sensor network is a collection of nodes “sensors”
organized into a cooperative network. The nodes communicate
wirelessly and often self-organize after being deployed.
A general work process of WSN
Deploy Organize into network
Sensing and monitoring Data collection and
send it to base station
Goal of the sensor node
The goal from the sensor node is to collect the data at regular
intervals, then transform the data into an electrical signal and
finally send the signal to the sink or the base node.
Sensor Networks Operating Systems
• Sensor Network uses TinyOS.
• It is a free open source operating system designed
for wireless sensor networks.
• It is an embedded operating system written in
NesC programming language, developed in 1999.
Need of TinyOS
• Problems with traditional OS
• Multithreaded Architecture not useful
• Large Memory Footprint
• Does not help to conserve energy and power
• Requirements for Wireless Sensor Networks
• Efficient utilization of energy and power
• Small Footprint
• Should support diversity in design and usage
• More emphasis on Concurrent execution
• Component based architecture allows frequent changes
while still keeping the size of code minimum.
• Event based execution model means no user/kernel
boundary and hence supports high concurrency.
• It is power efficient as it makes the sensors sleep as soon
• Has small footprint as it uses a non-preemtable FIFO
Wireless Sensor Networks Applications
• Forest fire detection
• Air pollution monitoring
• Water quality monitoring
• Land slide detection
• Automotive application
• Military application
Forest fire detection
• A network of Sensor Nodes can be installed in a
forest to detect when a fire has started.
• The nodes can be equipped with sensors to
measure temperature, humidity and gases which
are produced by fire in the trees or vegetation.
• If the node detects fire,it sends an alarm
message(along with its location) to the base
Air pollution monitoring
• Traditional air quality monitoring methods, such
as building air quality monitoring stations, are
• The solution to these is air quality monitoring
system based on the technology of wireless sensor
• Wireless sensor networks have been deployed in
several cities to monitor the concentration of
dangerous gases for citizens.
Water quality monitoring
• Water quality monitoring involves analyzing
water properties in dams, rivers, lakes & oceans,
as well as underground water reserves.
• Parameters considered include – temperature,
turbidity and pH
Land slide Detection
• A landslide detection system makes use of a
wireless sensor network to detect the slight
movements of soil and changes in various
parameters that may occur before or during a
• Through the data gathered it may be possible to
know the occurrence of landslides long before it
• enemy tracking, battlefield surveillance
• target detection
• Monitoring, tracking and surveillance of
• Nuclear, biological and
chemical attack detection
• WSN are a widely applicable, major emerging
• WSN are getting smaller and faster, increasing their
potential applications in commercial, industrial, and
• However, the limit of applications depends only upon
the sensors used and the interpretation of the data