2. Project ReviewProject Review
Careers in the
3. Write-Link IntroductionWrite-Link Introduction
1. People from several different positions, internal and
external to the university, are coming together to
make this program work.
2. Utilizes the talents and knowledge of EMU’s
English department faculty and the input of higher
level undergrad students in the public relations and
technical writing fields.
3. Key to the program’s success are faculty from the
two high schools and finally are the students
7. Write-Link GoalsWrite-Link Goals
1. Increased awareness and growth of the
– Developed programming ideas
– Created program theme which focused
on “growth,” “hope,” and “opportunity.”
2. Introduced the program to targeted
University faculty and departments.
3. Obtained funding.
8. Write-Link Target AudiencesWrite-Link Target Audiences
High school students: 16-18 years old; junior or
senior status in upcoming school year.
English teachers: primarily Washtenaw and Jackson
county high schools; provide link between the
students and EMU’s English Dept.
Parents: assured that the program is a very safe,
highly professional and extremely beneficial event for
their son or daughter.
Consult the Write-Link Client proposal.
FOR MORE INFO...
9. Write-Link Target AudiencesWrite-Link Target Audiences
Benefits to students looking to participate
– Gives them a vision and grasp of the careers
available to them.
– Offers them help and support.
– Exposes them to the courses and programs
offered at Eastern Michigan University.
– Being fortunate enough to take part in the
program, students will be taking the first step
down a road of success and opportunity.
10. Write-Link Target AudiencesWrite-Link Target Audiences
Benefits to parents are long term:
– Helps propel their children to establish
long-term career goals.
– Allows them to examine the writing
programs offered to their sons or
daughters at EMU.
– Allows them to meet the English Dept.,
staff and ask questions about the
11. Write-Link Output ObjectivesWrite-Link Output Objectives
Established a unique and attention getting
name: “Write-Link.” “Link” stands for the bond
students could form with other students and
the staff of Eastern Michigan University.
Designed, with the help of Dr. David Gore, a
Created an internal pitch presentation.
Developed a press release for prospective
Created public service announcements.
12. Write-Link ResultsWrite-Link Results
First time EMU’s English Dept., has
offered a program like this.
Program brings together diverse
audiences of teachers, counselors,
principals, students, and the community.
Five-day event with different modules
each day gives students exposure to a
diverse and challenging learning
13. Write-Link ResultsWrite-Link Results
The Write-Link outreach program offers students
– Opens new opportunities that were formally
closed giving students from socio-economically
challenged areas the chance to make new
professional and educational connections.
– Increases students awareness of civic issues
and their application to the writing profession.
– Enables students to develop their writing skills
and professional portfolios.
14. Write-Link ConclusionsWrite-Link Conclusions
Provided student team with a very
valuable educational and professional
Gave student team opportunity to explore
work styles and adjust to and create a
group style that is efficient.
Allowed student team to meet and interact
with many of the English Dept. staff and
15. Write-Link Project Next StepsWrite-Link Project Next Steps
Determine best time period to hold the
– Primary Choice: July 14 – 18, 2003
– Secondary Choice: July 21 – 25, 2003
Finalized communication to schools and
Established contact with and involved a
community group and writing
professionals in the program.
Seek additional funding and giveaways.