2. "Two things I wanted to do. I wanted to
point out the things that had to be
corrected. I wanted to show the things
that must be appreciated."
– Lewis Hine
3. Lewis Hine (1874 – 1940)
- American sociologist and photographer
- One of the many first that used their camera as a tool for social reform
- His photographs were instrumental in changing the child labor laws in the
8. Why is the camera the perfect tool for
• Saves moments forever.
• As much as important: the way camera is used
• Difference in capacity: photography in online vs offline media. 3 or
• Great tip!: Share photos as soon as possible
• The Slavoj Žižek theory on the power of photography:
„We know the stories. But, do we really understand their weight before
we see the photos?“
24. “Congratulations оn your victory!
She breathes not, moves not,
I sang loudly to wake her up,
Closed eyes will never open again.
Now she’s just a stain in the street... Step on her
This country devours its children.”
47. An injured woman cries for help after gunmen stormed the Westgate shopping
mall in Nairobi September 21, 2013.
48. The dead body of a woman who was killed with three gunshots is seen at a
crime scene in San Pedro Sula March 21, 2013.
49. Nelson Tavares, 24, originally from Cape Verde, works on a graffiti of Nelson Mandela which he painted during
festivities in his neighborhood in Lisbon June 20, 2013. Tavares works at a printing company where he charges
the Portuguese minimum wage of 485 Euros.
50. A woman is rescued from flood waters by a resident standing on top of her car during heavy rain in Chalandri
suburb north of Athens February 22, 2013.
51. Bratislav Stojanovic, a homeless man, in a tomb where he lives in southern Serbian town of Nis. February 9,
2013. Stojanovic, 43, a Nis-born construction worker never had a regular job. He first lived in abandoned houses,
but about 15 years ago he settled in the old city cemetery.
52. “Two nuns wait sitting in a fast food restaurant in downtown Guatemala City…”
53. Ayesha Farooq, 26, Pakistan's only female war-ready fighter pilot, she is one of 19 women who have
become pilots in the Pakistan Air Force over the last decade. A growing number of women have joined
Pakistan's defense forces in recent years as attitudes towards women change.
54. President Barack Obama meets with Russian President Vladimir Putin during the G8 Summit at Lough
Erne in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland June 17, 2013.
55. Female North Korean soldiers patrol along the banks of Yalu River, near the North Korean town of Sinuiju,
opposite the Chinese border city of Dandong, April 11, 2013.
56. Diego Miralles gets gored by a bull on Estafeta Street during the sixth running of the bulls of the San
Fermin festival in Pamplona July 12, 2013.
57. Patrons watch coverage of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on the Defense of Marriage
Act at the Stonewall Inn in New York June 26, 2013.
58. Members of the North Florida Survival Group wait with their rifles before heading out to
perform enemy contact drills during a field training exercise in Old Town, Florida,
December 8, 2012. The group trains children and adults alike to handle weapons and
survive in the wild.
59. A Turkish riot policeman uses tear gas as people protest against the destruction of trees in a park
brought about by a pedestrian project, in Taksim Square in central Istanbul May 28, 2013.
60. Lesleigh Coyer, 25, of Saginaw, Michigan, lies down in front of the grave of her brother, Ryan
Coyer, who served with the U.S. Army in both Iraq and Afghanistan
61. Belgian riot police are covered with foam sprayed by Belgian firefighters during a protest for better
work conditions in central Brussels October 7, 2013.
62. Protesters flee from tear gas fired by riot police during clashes after protesters removed a concrete
barrier near Tahrir Square in Cairo January 24, 2013.
63. Wolf researcher Werner Freund bites into a deer cadaver next to a Mongolian wolf in an enclosure
at Wolfspark Werner Freund, in Merzig in the German province of Saarland, January 24, 2013.
64. A woman carries home a washing machine in Dali, Yunnan province July 30, 2013.
65. A man holds the body of a dead child among bodies of people activists say were killed by nerve gas
in the Ghouta region, in the Duma neighborhood of Damascus August 21, 2013.
66. An excavator moves villagers away from a flooded area during heavy rainfall in Yingxiu, Wenchuan
county, Sichuan province, July 10, 2013.
67. Issa, 10 years old, carries a mortar shell in a weapons factory of the Free Syrian Army in Aleppo,
September 7, 2013. Issa works with his father in the factory for ten hours every day except on
68. Young Palestinian groom Ahmed Soboh, 15 and his bride Tala, 14, stand inside Tala's house which
was damaged during an Israeli strike in 2009, during their wedding party in the town of Beit Lahiya,
near the border between Israeli and northern Gaza Strip September 24, 2013.
69. Areas where camera can be used as a tool for civic activism:
• Exploatation of children
• Life’s of minorities
• Environment and ecology
• Animal abuse
•Conditions of schools
•Anything else you can think of…
•Reuters photos of the year 2014