SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
At the end of this micro teaching student will
be able to:-
Define pilot study.
Describe the objective of pilot study.
Explain the purpose of pilot study
Discuss the reason for pilot study
Specify the selection criteria
• Enumerate the factor help in determining
• Describe the advantages and disadvantages
of pilot study.
• Enlist the limitation of the pilot study.
“A pilot study is a small scale trial run of the actual
research project. It is the rehearsal of the main
study. It covers the entire process of the research”:-
– Preparation of a broad plan of the study.
– Construction of tool
– Collecting of data
– Processing and analysis of data
– Report writing
• The primary objective of the pilot study is
to test as many elements of the research
proposal as possible, in order to correct
any part that does not work well.
A pilot study fulfils one or more of the
• To prevent an expensive study
• To prevent misfortune of undertaking a
costly large scale study
• It provides guidance on conceptualization-identification
and operationalization of
concepts related to study.
• It assists in discovering the nature of
relationship between variable and in
• It assists in developing better approaches to
target population – as regards introduction,
• A pilot study is conducted to pretest a
newly designed instruction.
SELECTION OF PEOPLE FOR
• The people are selected for the pilot study
who are similar in characteristics to the
sample that will used for the actual study.
•Factors help in
determining the size
of pilot study
• Adequacy of the study method.
• Appropriateness and quality of
• Strength of relationship between key
• Identification of the confounding variable
that need to be controlled.
• Adequacy of material for research staff.
• Potential problem such as loss of
participant during the course of the study.
• It tells about the completeness, accuracy
and convenience of the sampling frame
from which it is proposed to select the
• It unfold the variability within the
population to the surveyed/studies.
• Importance in determining the size of the
• It helps in bringing out the inadequacy of
the draft questionnaire. It throws light on the
• It tests interviewer stamina to work under
condition of personal discomfort, stress and
• It helps in identifying the need for different
kinds of equipment and vehicles, which are
necessary during project.
• Pilot study research design is structured
study; the structured study introduces
biases into the result of the study to prove
exactly what the researchers wanted to
• The sample of the study is not randomly
• The treatment of subjects does not reflect,
and is usually modified to favor the result
that the researcher required.
• A pilot study is not a hypothesis testing
• Safety, efficacy and effectiveness are not
evaluated in a pilot study.
• Feasibility result does not necessarily
generalized beyond the inclusion and
exclusion criteria of pilot design.