A quick bit about me
• Adam Oldfield
• CEO and founder of Force24
• 20+ years in marketing
My door is always open!
Who are Force24?
• Founded in 2010
• Fastest Growing UK-based marketing
• We offer free, unlimited training &
support for life to every customer
• Proud to have a 98.2% retention rate
• Recently had a £4.8m investment
Before we start…
Write down your view of why segmentation is important
and how you use it.
• Disconnect from the wheels, liberate yourselves
• Understand the ‘Rule of 6’ (and establish your own)
• Understand your job is to know your contacts intimately
• Excite and educate your audience
• And always question… “would you engage with this?”
Know who you are & what you stand for
I make the difference; I am the energy, I am the magic, and I am the glue.
As marketers we must:
• Understand what makes our audience tick
• Relay key stakeholder messages though the marketing lens, converting it to what your
audience wants to engage with
• Never stand for second best…
Think differently: know your data
• Recognise that, if segmented properly, people should be interested in what you have to
• Understand that you are interrupting their day, even if they are engaged/opted in
• One size does not fit all when it comes to a send schedule
3D Marketing & Segmentation yesterday
Butcher Baker Candlestick Maker
3D Marketing and Segmentation today
Butcher Baker Candlestick Maker
• Email is only the hook and not the full meal
• Content – be concise rationalize your message (10 words, 1 button!)
• Don’t stand for second best and don’t be boring... be more Gordon!
• Find your winning formula… and stick to it
• Single column creative
• Artwork commodification, build standard templates and iterate for improvement –
work smarter, not harder
• Don’t stand for second best, be more Gordon!
• The squint test
Preheader -This should reflect the headline, it is designed to sit
above all content for inbox previews
Headline -This should be no more than 10 words. I prefer simple
colours on a stark background
Intro headline - Max 2 paragraphs, minimal content with a direct
focus.With a strong simple CTA.
(no more info, or click here please)
Creative sign off - Designed to bounce contacts back to the
previous statement or skip to below.
Detail + Action - this space can be used to hold more content if
Writing great subject lines
• Be clear and straight to the point
• Start with a verb
• Do not use excessive punctuation or icons
• Build a secret formula and stick to it
• (Verb + Content + Urgency) vs ([FirstName]Verb + Content + Urgency)
• What can you do to improve deliverability?
• Your job, ESP’s job – tech checklist
• What’s a bot?
• Understanding email servers and reputation
• Importance of clean data (Soft Bounce Rule)
• Be Engaging!
• Read our guide!
Optimise your outcome
Email is pointless if you are not considering how you will convert the interest you generate
Website – we hope you
can achieve a 2%
conversion rate from
traffic on your website
Blog – usually
converts at 1/10 of
conversion rate Custom Landing
Page – a well built
would hope to
convert at 15%
Landing Page –
which adapts to the
person and is
focussed on their
next action can
achieve in the
region of 35%
Measuring your performance needs to change, when we are working in a 3D way. Focussing on the
people and your data segments becomes the most effective route to reporting in the new world.
Based on what we’ve discussed today…
Which killer tip are you going to be using
/ taking advantage of the most?
1. Think differently
2. Segment and personalise
3. Use automation to the max, liberate you and your team
4. Refine your creative assets
5. Nail deliverability
6. Optimise for outcome, sell the hole in the wall – not the drill bit
7. Report on your performance the smart way