Located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, SBS operates out of a 20,000 square foot
Serves premier member organizations around the world including pension
funds, labor unions, associations, cooperatives, financial institutions, clubs and
Well over 50 million members have been given a
voice through our platforms.
rate of 97% with a
rate of 96%.
SBS was founded in 1990 and has served pension fund, labor union,
cooperative, and association elections with paper ballots since 1992 and
electronic ballots since 1998.
SBS has invested in the highest quality employees, election services, and
security infrastructure for 30+ years. This is evident through our client
retention and customer satisfaction.
45 internal staff members across IT, QA, Customer Service, Production,
Account Management, and Admin. Average tenure at SBS is 10.2 years.
As a family business, SBS understands the importance of building strong
customer relationships, investing in our solutions, and helping our clients
accomplish their election goals.
Setting the standard in secure election
services since 1990.
SBS works with a union printer and will
print the union bug on all printed ballot
Level 4 access structure for ballot
storage and tabulation, including a
fire proof safe and security cameras
with 24/7 footage (internal
International officer elections, local
officer elections, bylaw votes,
contract votes, merger votes, charter
850 annual elections for labor
unions, public pension funds,
associations, financial institutions,
clubs, and cooperatives.
All elections are
customized to meet
voting options &
unique goals for
Mail-in & Onsite
Electronic Voting and Member Portal Voting
Online, SSO, & Phone
SBS runs hundreds of paper ballot elections per year and has auditable
processes in place to uphold election integrity and deliver accurate and
SBS also offers onsite tabulation services along with in-person and
virtual observation abilities at our Eden Prairie facility. With paper
ballot votes, SBS staff will design, develop, print, assemble, test, QA,
tabulate and store ballots.
Over the past two years, people have become much more inclined and
open to technology as we’ve navigated a global pandemic. The same goes
for voting and many organizations have turned to SBS as the trusted online
With an electronic ballot, eligible voters are given unique credentials to
login to the election website or can vote from their member portals. Voters
will receive confirmation once their ballot is submitted, providing peace of
mind that their vote was counted. With a full team of in-house developers,
SBS will ensure your electronic vote remains secure (see Election Security)
and confidential, and our team can delete specific election information at
the close of your election as required by some organizations.
Mail-in, Paper Request, Electronic & Onsite
Web & Mobile Based Resolution Voting
Organizations are utilizing hybrid elections to connect with their
members and to adhere to the different technology comfortability
levels of members. Providing options should not only boost
participation, but it will also engage a broader audience.
With a hybrid election, SBS will ensure the right election setup,
development and credentialing to provide an accurate vote while
upholding voter integrity. Similar to web and paper elections, SBS will
design, develop, print, assemble, test, QA, tabulate, process and store
COVID has unquestionably changed the way organizations are meeting
and operating. DirectVoteLive is a solution to enhance voting at
meetings and is allowing organizations to engage their members
virtually and through hybrid meeting models.
This self-administered tool allows votes to be taken on the fly in real-
time, while still providing secure and accurate results. Meeting invites
can be sent by email or SMS text messaging allowing members to vote
seamlessly on their cell phones.
Paper Ballot Scanning
A mock election is performed using actual
test data with ballots for both paper and
electronic member votes. This ensures
the votes are being captured properly.
Batches are scanned in daily and in
Verifier will review and correct
questionable marks with clear voter
intent. When voter intent cannot be
determined, ballot will be flagged for
review by client, election committee, etc.
01 02 03
After each batch of ballots has been
scanned, the last Scan ID # is entered
making sure that the total number
scanned equals the number of valid
On final day of voting project team
verifies all ballots have been processed.
04 05 06
Test Batch Scanning Ballots Verification Software
Scan Verification Re-batch Scanned Ballots Processed Ballot Confirmation
Re-batch scanned ballots and place them
in the corresponding “Scanned” bin.
• All data is fully encrypted end-to-end, both in transit and at rest
• Backed up on a nightly basis
• TLS Encryption 1.2
• SBS’ web and database servers utilize DRaaS to provide redundancy
• SBS partners with All Covered to monitor, maintain, and improve SBS firewalls to protect data
at all times
• All Covered monitors SBS firewalls 24/7, reports potential breaches, and proactively improves
• SBS is SOC 2 Type 2 compliant, undergoes annual 3rd-party audits, and penetration testing as
part of its security infrastructure plan
• SBS partners with a premier third-party data center, Flexential, for private cloud data services
• Collocated in redundant data centers 900 miles apart
• Clients receive a standing invitation to tour the data center upon request
• TLS 1.2 end-to-end encryption
• Eligible voting delegates will be assigned randomly generated verification credentials to be used on the voting website for each
• Voting website authenticates credentials against voter database
• All incorrect passcode credentials are blocked from accessing website
• All duplicate voting attempts on the website are blocked
• SBS is SOC 2 Type 2 compliant ensuring proper documentation of, and adherence to, internal security controls
• Reviewed annually by CPA firm
• SOC2 Type 2 report available after signing NDA
• SBS provides top tier physical ballot security
• 4 tier access, fire proof safe vault for ballots
• Camera technology to monitor ballots 24/7
• SBS ensures voter anonymity and can purge PII from all databases prior to ballot tabulation
SBS adheres to strict chain-of-custody policies that govern how ballots are stored after your election.
Ballots are boxed by project and stored in our locked vault only accessible by credentialed staff.