2. LITERATURE SURVEY
J.N. Lyguarus , K.N Tarchanidis “An Underwater Remotely Operated
In this control,communication and positioning subsystems are presented.
The communication system comprises a twin fiber optic cable for two way
communication. In this thrusters are used to drive boat.
But HERE in this application “On water Surveillance Robot” the communication
between boat and user is wireless done by using RF transreciever.
Since the communication is wireless ,hardware complexity is reduced ..
Thus communication range is not limited to length of the cable used for
3. Boris J Rozman, Lev L. Utyakov “ Micro Rov for Under water
It is a small sized MicroRov named GNOM intended for under water investigations and
observations was made .
It contains video camera, thrusters ,light , and sensors. GNOM is operated by using
Thus here also wired communication is present.
But in the project “On water Surveillance Robot” wireless communication is done, thus
reducing the complexity.
The idea is to receive the image of the intruder and hostages, find its exact
location and sends it to the control section .
The data transmitted includes distance of intruder from boat and image of
captured by camera is received by microcontroller in control section.
The distance measured by IR sensor and images is captured by camera in
According to the commands given by operator at control section the necessary
actions can be taken.
The intruder can be put down by laser gun mounted on robotic section
,depending on the command given by operator at control section.
In this way the robot is self sufficient for security purpose .
7. Robotic Section
• Boat is made to rotate by varying the motion of the two propellers which are driven
by two dc motors.
• Boat can be made to rotate either clockwise or anticlockwise.
• The sensor which is mounted at the top of the stepper motor works as the detecting
device for any interference that tries to intrude into the water territory guarded by
• The distance of the intruder from the boat will also be measured by the Ultrasonic
• Relay will in turn activate the gun which can be used to put down the intruder at
that instant only.
• The aim of the gun is made perfect by moving the boat using the VB software made
available to the remote user.
9. CONTROL SECTION
• When the RF transreciever receives this data, it transmits it back up the RS232 link
to your PC’s serial port and it is displayed on your screen.
• After that from control section the person at the computer will transmit the
necessary action to the robot.
The control screen shows the following controls:-
• Forward :- both the propellers move clockwise when it is pressed.
• Reverse :- both the propellers move anticlockwise when it is pressed.
• Left :- first propeller moves clockwise and second moves anticlockwise when it is
• Right :- first propeller moves anticlockwise and second moves clockwise when it
• Stop :- both the propellers stops and the boat stops working.
• All the actions are reflected on the VB screen of our PC and the generated
commands are passed to the boat via RF transmission.The microcontroller controls
the robotic actions with the corresponding command received.
10. COMPONENTS (which can be used)
• D. C. Motor:
12v, 250m a, 150rpm, permanent magnet motor.
• Stepper Motor:
12v, 1.83 deg/step, unipolar, permanent magnet.
• IR Module (GP2D12):
Supply voltage range :- (-3) to 7V.
Range of I.R sensor :- 10 to 80 cm.
Judgment distance :- 24 cm.
Contact form :- DPDT
Relay on condition: 5v, 50m a.
11. WIRELESS CAMERA WS-309AS:
• Power Dissipation:<=640mW
• Output Frequency: 2.4G
• Voltage: (Tx-9V) (Rx-12V)
• Current: (Tx-300mA ) (Rx-500mA)
• Transmission range 30 meters.
• Angular Field of View: 38 deg
12. RF TRANSCIEVER MODULE:
•Worldwide 2.4GHz ISM band operation
•Up to 2Mbps on air data rate
•Ultra low power operation
•11.3mA TX at 0dBm output power
•12.3mA RX at 2Mbps air data rate
•On chip voltage regulator
•1.9 to 3.6V supply range
•±60ppm 16MHz crystal
•5V tolerant inputs
13. • Single handed control & supervision.
• Less time consumption.
• No installation problem.
• Sensors & other devices have longer life.
• Can work in hazardous situation where human beings can not reach.
14. •It can be used for searching the victims in
flooded disaster areas.
•People drowning in the sea-bodies can be
detected by the I.R and we can get exact
location of the people blocked in that place.
•Thus by getting perfect location we can save
16. FUTURE SCOPE
• As a replacement of RF module we can use high transmitting range
module that can transmit data over a long distance and with higher speed.
• The robot can also be operated by using solar energy .
• We can also use it as a robot to robot communication located at different
locations in the water-bodies. Thus a large area is covered.
• Different cryptography techniques can be made in use for proper security
of our data that is to be transmitted.
• WS-309AS 1.2G Wireless Mini Camera-www.vdocapture.com.htm
• J . N. Lygoraus ,Vol 59 . No. 3 “An underwater Remotely Operated
• Boris J Rozman ,Vol 2 “Micro Rov For Underwater Observation ”.